Punching Strength BOXERS VS MMA

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by saul_ir34, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Primate

Primate Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Holy crap, this thread is hilarious :)

2. iceferg

iceferg Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    I've seen Rampage do 1800 psi on a show. Enzo Macrinelli was recorded as having the same fource as a transit van hitting you at 30 mph. All the research I've seen suggests that heavier fighters hit harder even p4p than lighter fighters.
    I don't believe the punchers are born theory. I train both boxing and MMA. I have always thought boxers have better punches. My trainer who has had several fights in both said he's never even been buzzed in a cage. I would say that of course an MMA guy normally wins a fight. Also boxing gloves actually cause more damage than MMA gloves do to the brain although they prevent superficial damage. Boxing has a lot more deaths than MMA because it is all concentrated striking with more damaging gloves. As far as I know there has only been deaths in Vale Tudo (which has less rules).

3. HENDO

HENDO Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Ha ha, remember that bull**** where they tried to make Coutore like he was gonna actually and try n fight Toney instead of gay ass wrestle.

They thought he was gonna punch harder, but Toney punched at 1300 lbs, which was over 1/3 higher than Couture.

Then they said,....well uh, Couture can do dirty boxing.

**** didn't happen though.

He was way too scared to throw his hands.

4. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Yeah, like I said three ****ing years ago (seriously, why dig this stupid thread up?), the fact that a big strong guy that knows how to punch can his as hard as a heavyweight boxer doesn't surprise me. The key here people is that BOXING IS ABOUT 20% PUNCHING, and what makes up the difference from big guys that hit hard and boxers is that boxer can throw hard punches without winding up or getting off balance and can throw them accurately and in combinations, all while moving their head and feet.

This comparison reminds me of trying to put one of those "world's strongest man" goons who has never played football out there and ask them to block and NFL nose tackle. They may both be strong and such, but there are a million techniques that the pro will use to make the other guy look ridiculous that have nothing to do with strength.

5. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    :lol:

Couture crushed and owned Toney. Everybody but you knows all about it, including Toney.

6. Doc Everlast

Doc Everlast Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 23, 2013
    750 lbs is the average.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Active Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2013
    In today's MMA Bas Rutten would fight at MW.

8. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    If anybody thought Couture was going to try and box Toney then they were delusional. We all saw with Sylvia what happens with an MMA guy when he tries to box a boxer.

(And Sylvia picked Mercer of all people to try slug it out with :rofl:patsch)

9. iceferg

iceferg Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Enzo mac apparently hit with the force of a transit van.

10. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Worst Poster of 2015 Full Member

Oct 30, 2011
    If you've seen BKB, JMW journeyman with average punching power hit above 900 regularly.

11. Mordechai

Mordechai Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 18, 2008
    wlad punched something like 2400 pounds.

i am more than sure that wlad must be the biggest puncher. a 245 pounds 6'6 guy with the best straight right hand (perfect execution) of all time.

12. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I reckon Wlad may well be one of the hardest punchers ever. I just wish that he'd remember that from time to time.

13. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Boxers with 10 oz gloves do a lot more damage then mma fighters do because of the hand wraps. The mma glove doesn't allow you to wrap that much. Your hands won't fit in the glove. Whereas boxers tape up to where it's like a cast.