Punching Strength BOXERS VS MMA

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by saul_ir34, Jan 28, 2008.

1. saul_ir34

saul_ir34 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 6, 2007
    They would be severely hurt. Look at how knocked out they get with punches that look like they wouldnt even stun a boxer.

2. BigBone

BigBone Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 20, 2007
  3. Ethan Trims

Ethan Trims Active Member Full Member

May 6, 2007
    Yeah right:lol: , Im sure that psi scale was accurate.

4. scott is cool

scott is cool Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I think I could withstand a MMA punch. :!:

5. DobyZhee

DobyZhee VIP Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    I can't believe you would put the Castillo fight as a barometer for Hatton's punching power.

Sure it was a clean body shot as was seen but Castillo was weight drained and was out of it from the beginning.

6. Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky Hardcore......to the max! Full Member

Jun 17, 2007
  7. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    hmm... very interesting... i will look those up.. thank you :thumbsup

8. Addie

Addie Myung Woo Yuh! Full Member

Jun 14, 2006
    I've been watching UFC for about 3 years and boxing for less, but as soon as I saw Barrera vs Morales 3 I was a boxing fan for life. What's this got to do with anything? Well, I've seen a bit of both sports and like my opinion matters, but MMA fighters lack striking technique, and often look like fools throwing their hands.

I still think our worst guy beats the MMA's best guy at boxing.

9. Ubersteve

Ubersteve The Main Event Mafia Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
    As mentioned before, it's balance, you can't really afford to plant too much in MMA. If you plant, you generally get leg kicked, if you're planting, that's going to do damage and slow you down, so you try and jump in and out and get shots off quickly to avoid that.

And of course boxers can punch harder, it's what they focus on. 100m sprinters can run faster than decathaletes, too.

10. sambob

sambob Active Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2007
    I don't know anything about the TV show, and I'm not saying this is true of all Thai boxers and MMA guys, this is just based on my experience.

But Thai boxers and MMA guys can't punch for ****. They have no idea how to get the most power out of their bodies. No leverage on their punches at all.

But this doesn't even matter, because their boxing skills are **** anyway. And even if their boxing skills weren't ****, they don't throw straight punches anyway and my arms are long as **** so uh... yeah.

11. pit

pit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Very Untrue ,, boxer have better foot work then mma practitioner and now how to get the most leverage from the floor , then most other martial art practitioner, because thats what box do fight while moving .

Blows

It is true that boxer are only allowed to punch , but there is a much darker side of boxing that is not talked about . for instance head butt , boxer now how to use the head as a weapon while standing and trading shots . elbows: tyson was very good at missing the left hook in-order to deliver a elbow to the mouth , jaw and throat .
    Shoulder : Rocky marciano was also very good at missing the upper cut in order to deliver a shoulder to his opponent chin.

Boxer have a lot of crippling blows they can deliver with other parts of there body don't because it not the nature of the sport , the blows are there , just not talked about.

12. pit

Jul 25, 2004
    you do realize that Pro boxer gloves are composed of compact horse hair Right?? there designed to transfer impact into the target not absorb it .

it would be no different if I wrapped a bat with Compacted horse hair and hit you in the head with it , the compact would be the same. only difference being you man not get cut, but I would still break your nose , eye socket and jaw or knock you out, out.

13. Ethan Trims

Ethan Trims Active Member Full Member

May 6, 2007
    Even still, those extra ounces on a boxing glove slow down the speed lessening the impact. MMA gloves are more dangerous.

are you a cheerleader now.

14. pit

Jul 25, 2004

15. pit

Jul 25, 2004
    Not really no , boxer are trained to punch using body weight and coordination, not arm motion . The arm is merely the transporter of power from the floor through the body , through the arm into the target.

muscle mass or beach muscle play little to no role in punching power.