Punching Strength BOXERS VS MMA

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by saul_ir34, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Blacc Jesus

Blacc Jesus . Full Member

Aug 30, 2007
  2. SugarRay

SugarRay Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Sorry dude, you are only understanding half the equation (Force = Mass x Acceleration). Strength and Leverage generates Acceleration. To increase Force even further Mass has to be part of it and there is a direct correlation between Force and Mass, which you fail to understand.

3. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Look you stupid mother ****er, I know you have only had 3rd grade science so the only thing you understand is that equation, but ITS NOT THE RIGHT ****ING EQUATION.

The equation you want is
    This content is protected

What really matters is the transfer of energry from the puncher to the thing getting punched, the impulse.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse#_note-0

The way you are thinking of this doesn't take into account the time of impact, a critcally important aspect.

Here is a high school explanation of it, although that might be a bit complicated for you
    http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/Phys/Class/momentum/u4l1c.html

4. pit

pit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2004
    There is the possibility that someone on earth that is not a boxer pac a punch more potent then ether Forman or Tyson , this could be the every day joe walking the street , so it is possible but you also have to remember a strong punch does not make you a fighter or be able to take a punch.

5. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    :good

sorry if im missing the point pit... but i really dont think any every day joe walking the street could have a harder punch then tyson or foreman...

not because they couldnt possess it, but because tyson and foreman have honed that power since childhood, to be able to punch with that much force, and so even if there was some mega powerful puncher (just for example... lets say ray lewis of the ravens packed the best punch ever known) i dont think it would compare to tysons or georges because of how they have built that up over time and the training theyve done... so although his punching power could have exceeded theirs had that been his path in life, it doesnt because it wasnt....

you think so or no?

6. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    thats very interesting... thank you :good

7. Punisher33

Punisher33 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 8, 2007
    The majority of MMA guys have horrible punching technique, which probably limits the speed or force at which they could generate into there punch. I wish FSN would show both a top puncher in MMA and a top puncher in boxing hitting the heavybag, the difference between the 2 would be an eye opening experience. You would not only see that the boxer is much more skilled, but you will also see how much faster and more powerful a boxer truly is.

8. pit

Jul 25, 2004
    No Problem

But sure there is !! some where out there is a guy who pac one hell of a punch but has no desire to box or fight , it is entirely possible.

Think about how many naturally strong people there are out there who never played a sport in there entire life or even lifted a single weight but have the natural, untapped, untrained potential . Remember if it weren't for cus Mike Tyson would have been one of these every day Joes walking the street with untapped potential, and if I remember correctly Forman started boxing after he turned 17 , mike at age 14 or 15 ..

So these people do exists , they just have other interest ..

9. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Yes... i do understand... but, he wouldnt have punched as hard without that training you see. A tyson who had never entered a boxing gym does not hit as hard as a 25 year old tyson with 10 years punching training...

so even if there are supreme punches out there... i dont think their punch would equal tysons or foremans because they wouldnt have the ability to deliver the punch to equal their power, nor the primary muscles developed that years of training with medicine balls, mitts, heavybag and repetative punching does...

just imo...

10. pit

Jul 25, 2004

I feel ya :good

11. SugarRay

Mar 18, 2006
    So, all you can do is resort to name calling? Look who the real stupid one is. Furthermore, you have proven your ignorance and lack of understanding by stating the Impulse equation. Look what's critical in the equation... Mass. You have no understanding of it at all. Please seek help and finish school. Let me educate you further. If you want to punch harder put your weight behind your punches...why? Answer lies in my posts that I've been trying to get into your thick head.

12. Beebs

Feb 21, 2007
    Honestly, you might be ******ed.

Read the information I posted, it makes it very clear.

13. SugarRay

Mar 18, 2006
    I think you're the ****** here. I don't disagree with strength and leverage creating Acceleration but this means nothing without Mass. Something that school kids understand but, you have continually to failed to. For your information Force, Impulse, Power, Pressure and Energy all have one thing in common... Mass. If you fail to accept then there is no point in me trying to educate you. Peace.

14. Beebs

Feb 21, 2007
    Yes, mass is important, butr how much heavier is a heavyweights fist than a lightweights? Its the weight of the FIST, not of the motionless body. It is not the determining factor in power punching, speed and time of impact are.

Again, you don't punch any harder while wearing a weighted vest, which a Sumo wrestler does in the form of fat. Heavyweights don't hit harder simply from weighing more, its the benefits of functional lean body mass that add to punching power.

15. untmike

untmike ABN Full Member

Nov 4, 2007
    I didnt see the show but it sounds like wat they are saying is Bas Ruten kicked at 900 lb of presser, not punched. Legs are natually much stronger than arms so of coarse his kick is gonna be more than a boxers punch, but his punch isnt gonna be close to a Heavyweight boxers