punching with light weights anyone here do it? (Floyd Mayweather does it)

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by donizhere, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    I just wanted to get you Googling some random **** :yep

You're a miserable old ****.

2. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Not at all. Boxers generally do what they're told by boxing coaches that are generally clueless about human physiology, biomechanics etc and do silly **** from years ago, dropping medicine balls on the stomach, holding weights when punching, long distance running every day etc. Joe Defranco is highly qualified in both mentioned fields as well as many others. He's an authority in what he does.

Probably because it is, and I'm not the only one.

3. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    :lol:

Am I? Why's that?

4. JDK

JDK Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2010
    You've lost my interest in continuing this convo. with you with a single post.

5. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Cool, mate. Have a goodun.

6. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Stop asking why! Just are. Fat turns directly into muscle. All meat heads know this. Cannot process more than 19.8g of protein per meal. What's better than six meals? Twelve meals!

7. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    You couldn't actually **** me off on an Internet forum...

8. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Stop replying so quick, I suddenly realised you are unflappable so I typed something else.

But yeah I was ****ing about. A serious reply to this thread? I think shadow boxing with weights is an entirely ludicrous idea if you're a cartoonist, beautician or dog groomer, but if you're a boxer it may be considered acceptable. Providing you keep the weights very light (and I mean about 1kg per arm) I think it's a suitable way to increase shoulder endurance - not punching power - and using anything too heavy will be detrimental to the health of your shoulder, or even both shoulders if you have two. The lighter the weight, the closer it mimics the actual motion of punching without compensating for a heavy weight, as has been mentioned, and the more emphasis will be placed on long term endurance of the shoulder, the kind of which does affect fighters, and often affects me as my shoulders burn before everything else.

9. doylexxx

doylexxx Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

10. doylexxx

doylexxx Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Hay Virus

Do you watch boxing ?

11. Rakim

Rakim Captain ****wit Full Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Solid posts from Manassa. As always.

12. 123ko

123ko Active Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2012
    boxing is a mental game any help you can get to give yourself confidence to throwing the correct punch at the correct time at what ever speed ,should be given a try,,

13. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    This may be true, but it is also irrelevant to what is being discussed...

14. keyboardwarrior

keyboardwarrior New Member Full Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Fat doesn't turn into muscle.... The reason that you "bulk first and cut later" is that metabolic rate increases with increased muscle.

Source: http://www.fitcommerce.com/blueprin...ss_page.aspx?pageid=744&tabindex=5&portalid=2

As to your claim that high rep bodyweight squats yield better strength gains than lower rep, higher weight squats you will have to be more specific. If the type of strength you're referring to is strength endurance then you are absolutely right.

However if maximal strength is the goal then you are way off base.

Zatsiorsky, 1995 says of maximal effort while lifting a maximal load; "superior for improving both intramuscular and intermuscular coordination. The method of maximum effort should be used to bring forth the greatest strength increments. Central nervous system inhibition, if it exists, is reduced with this method; thus, the maximal numbers of MU’s are activated with optimal discharge frequency and the biomechanical parameters of movement and intermuscular coordination are similar to analogous values in a main sport exercise."

Source: http://www.phoenixbarbell.com/PDF_Files/Intensity of Strength.pdf

15. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Good information but I think the guy who you're replying to was just having a laugh.