Quarry vs Shavers

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Komaster, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Quarry in another era may have been a Champion. Really can't say the same
    About Shavers. Shavers would always
    Have been a dangerous puncher in any
    Era. But he would always have fallen a
    Little short. Most skilled fighters would have recognized how dangerous he was/is and fought to their best abilities against him.

2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Excellent find! Though at this point Miteff was beyond washed, and had just come out of retirement.

Richard M Murrieta and Pat M like this.
  3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Jerry really had insane courage .. I can't remember him ever showing fear .. some warrior .

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    I don't know much about Miteff, but Quarry looked quick and in good condition. Off topic, but how big was that ring? It looks to be at least 22', maybe 24'...it looks like two guys boxing on a basketball court!

5. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Holy ****, I just noticed! You could've had a whole other fight at the same time on the other side of the ring! :lol:

Richard M Murrieta and Pat M like this.
  6. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Is it fair to say it was shades of Quarry vs Mac Foster in 1970. Mac had a perfect knockout record.

7. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Mac gave Jerry a pretty good fight, even wobbling badly with a big right hand. But Jerry slowly broke him down.

8. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    QUARRY'S STOCK WAS ON THE RISE VS SHAVERS, I DO NOT KNOW WHO YOU SO CALLED EXPERTS WERE TALKING TOO TO SAY HE WAS NOT!
    HIS VICTORY OVER UNBEATEN 1972 WBA FIGHTER OF THE YEAR RON LYLE WAS HUGE! ESPECIALLY SINCE FOREMAN HAD JUST WON THE TITLE, AND SEEMED TO BE DUCKING A FITE WITH JERRY WHICH WOULD HAVE MADE THEM BOTH A ML$$$ Jerry had also won 4 fights in a row 3 by knockout under new trainers Gil Clancy & Howie Albert.

It was no upset to begin with, Jerry Quarry (202 lb) was a 12-5 favorite over Shavers (210 lb) at fite time.

Ring: Quarry # 4 Shavers # 6
    WBA: Quarry # 4 Shavers # 6
    WBC: Quarry # 5 Shavers # 7

(Jerry beat 9 top ten world ranked contenders and knocked out 5 during his career, few Champions , and very few beat that many in any division, Joe Fazier beat ten).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  9. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Tbh, Quarry took a fair but of punishment in this fight, despite ending it via 1st round KO. Even the commentators note, Shavers was hitting Quarry consistently prior to the stoppage.

10. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    The fights on YouTube, The only thing Shavers did consistantly was take a lotta leather from Jerry Quarry!, he had a brief spurt, which botherd Quarry not so ever. Don Dumbey should have retired 20 years before. And gave Quarry a decent interview, he did the same thing when Joe Frazier beat Quarry 6 months later, only wanting to ask Joe about a low blow,!! I thought that was kinda below the belt interview!