Question about going to a fitness gym and boxing gym at the same time

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by AlixWelterWeight, Aug 29, 2017.

1. AlixWelterWeight

AlixWelterWeight New Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2017
    hi , currently , i go to fitness gym and boxing gym in that 1 day fitness and next is boxing

what i would like to know, will this help or not? i would especially like to know about leg weight workouts, do those help with boxings footwork or cardio? thanks in advance !

2. BoxingFanatic98

BoxingFanatic98 New Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Anything to do with the gym would help buddie considering youll be making progress with stamina(endurance) which plays a very big part when it comes to boxing

BoxinScienceUSA likes this.
  3. JagOfTroy

JagOfTroy Jag Full Member

Jul 5, 2009
    If your interest is in actual competition for boxing, drop the fitness gym and go to the boxing one full-time.

Otherwise, do whatever makes you happy.

4. Rafaman

Rafaman Active Member Full Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Of course you can. But tailor your leg workouts for more strength explosive work. Squats, leg press, deadlifts and even leg extensions are all good. Low rep range and moderate weight is ideal. You want strong legs that are still springy but not massively shaped like a bodybuilder. Just be careful not to overdo the weights as boxing training itself is very taxing on the hamstrings and calves anyway. Just remember te weights all compliment and support your boxing not the other way round. Since your weight day is before boxing dont go to heavy or too long a workout 45mins should be plenty. I over trained for years training 5 days a week running at least 50kms plus sparring plus long kettlebell filthy 50 workouts where you did 500 reps in 20 minutes and the kettlebell never touches the floor and even threw some powerlifting in. But I didnt need to. I always boxed better when I felt 'small' and my muscles were flexible and even looked a little flat and watery (because they were properly rested and hydrated). Be smart.

Footwork and cardio are different workouts but you still need strength.

5. BoxinScienceUSA

BoxinScienceUSA Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    if you're new, then you're on a good 3 & 3 day system. I recommend that when you are new you get to make sure your muscles and joints are strong on all sides. lighter weights where the reps get challenging around 20-25 reps. its called a general prep phase. the closer you get to competition you'll spend less time at the fitness gym, and the time there will be focused on sport specific explosive movements.

I have a free manual you can download on my website. check it out. it'll give you a good base as you learn what works best for you.

http://BoxingScienceUSA.com

or http://BoxingScienceAcademy.com they both go to the same place.

Butch Coolidge likes this.
  6. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    You need a coach. One on one. Even if it’s only for 15-20 minutes each time. Then practice and practice. Repititions. And you are responsible for your own conditioning. Mirror, bag, and pad work and sparring as well. And then when your ready to fight you need the right opponent.

7. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Evander Holyfield used to workout in the World Gym on Richmond Avenue in Houston, Tx.

I also remember a boxer doing crossfit a couple of years back.

It probably depends on what you are trying to achieve.

IMO conditioning is way more important than strength as far as boxing goes. You might be able to find a program that is both strength AND conditioning.

You can always check out BoxingScienceUSA's stuff.

I had a lot of fun doing the Spartacus 2.0 workout although it was way passed my competition days. Instructions are all over you tube and it doesn't require much in the way of equipment.