Question about making weight at amateur boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by twinwonw, Apr 20, 2014.

1. twinwonw

twinwonw Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2012
    Hello, I will probably have my first fight in May 4th if there is a opponent for me.

However, my weight right is currently 172 in the morning after I poop and pee and I'm suppose to fight at 165 lb weight class in the amateurs. I have 2 weeks till I make that weight. I think I could make get to 168~169 lbs without dehydrating myself, but do the amateur boxing commissions allow people to fight little bit over their weight limit?

the weigh in is at 7~10 am and bout starts at 1pm, so if needed I guess I could dehydrate myself and lose some water weight before.

2. Barrera

Barrera Defeated Boxing_master Full Member

Jul 13, 2012
    here in australia they do not allow you to fight if you cannot make weight. even if its a measly half a lb.

that being said when i competed in an inter-club sparring at a weight of 65 kilos i weighed in at 63.5 and my opponent was 67.9 and they let the fight go ahead

3. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    if its an official fight, you must be in weight boundaries

4. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    I guess there are regional differences. Here (in Ontario), if you're a pound or two over, it's at the coach's discretion if they still want to proceed, and usually people don't sweat it over a couple of pounds. Your coach should have a good idea how it's handled there.

Having said that, it shouldn't be that hard for you to drop a couple of pounds to get to 169/170, then dehydrate the remaining few pounds.

From my own experience, I easily dehydrate the last 4 or 5 pounds simply by drinking less fluids in the last 24 hours (no need to exercise, or sweat, and i never really feel thirsty).
    And i'm fairly small, competing at 139 lb.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.