Question: Who do you think is the WORST Heavyweight Champion In History?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Eastwood, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Eastwood

Eastwood Clueless Millennial Boxing Fan Full Member

Oct 11, 2021
    I always liked Parker but honestly i could see him losing to Valuev on Judges. VS Hughie Fury he didn't look super good in my opinion. He also hasn't fought the best competition either, I think Junior Fa gave him some problems.

edabomb likes this.
  2. Col Mortimer

Col Mortimer The question isn't indiscreet.The answer could be Full Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I totally agree. Frustrating though that both Douglas & Ruiz showed such great potential in winning the belts in the way that they did only to pretty much throw it all away.

That for me personally is a more defining reason for using the term "worst" Champion rather than fighters who just never really made the grade for reasons other than that.

3. mark ant

mark ant Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 4, 2017
    lol! Wilder landed 75 punches on Fury in their first match compared to Fury landing 85 shots,Wilder landed counter jabs on Fury, no way Could Valuev could have done that, Wilder has more one punch KO`s than Valuev had and would have destroyed him, no way could Valuev have knocked Fury down and nearly finish him.

4. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Parker is far quicker than Valuev was.

heerko koois likes this.
  5. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    If Wilder tries to KO Valuev he will gas and get KOed himself. He could stun him temporarily, but the blue print to beat Valuev is to move in land quick punches and move out. Wilder can't box and will never execute this game plan.

Surrix and BubblesUK like this.
  6. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    post joe louis, since i don't know the old timers. but would probably consider Canera (of those who succesfully defended at least once) just based on his suspicious career and low esteem among experts at the time.

i consider based on the following critera:
    championship resume
    h2h potential
    entertainment value (or more lack thereof)

champs who SUCCESFULLY defended at least once post joe louis who i think are in the discussion. no secondary champs bc those aren't the champ:

John Ruiz (mostly for just being ugly as hell to watch but h2h he would be able to win stinker decisions too much to be the worst)
    Nicholai Valuev (also ugly to watch, some shady decisions, and unimpressive resume but still his physical gifts make him h2h better than some of the others imo)
    Francisco Damiani (wasn't considered a real champion at the time by most though now retroactively is considered one. h2h pretty low on the list but he wasn't terrible to watch)
    Henry Akinwande (definitely a contender)
    Sultan Ibragimov (beat briggs, defended once then got dominated by wlad. h2h bottom of the barrel for me)
    Joseph Parker (i think he lost to ruiz, ugly boring fights against Hughie and AJ)

For me, I think it's gotta be Ibragimov, Parker or Akinwande

Eastwood and Fogger like this.
  7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Haye hurt Valuev, Wilder would hit him at will, Valuev benefitted from his huge reach but Wilder`s reach is far longer than any reach of Valuev`s opponents, Wildder is superior to prime Valuev in every department, Ortiz would have handled Vluev with ease and is far beter than anybody Valuev beat.

8. Perkin Warbeck

Perkin Warbeck Richard Duke of York Full Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Akinwande maybe, probably not Parker who is ordinary but not that bad, and definitely not Ibragimov, who is actually underrated and often beat men much bigger than himself.

Sultan had excellent boxing skills, developed in the amateurs fighting in the "under 200" category. He won a silver medal in the 2000 Olympics. However he was somewhat too small for pro heavyweight (or amateur super heavyweight).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    dcb154 likes this.
  9. Scott Cork

Scott Cork Active Member Full Member

Feb 3, 2021
    I am shocked nobody has mentioned Bentt.

10. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Deontay Wilder is the obvious choice here.

Heavy_Hitter and BubblesUK like this.
  11. Leeroy84

Leeroy84 Active Member Full Member

May 7, 2016
  12. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    That's not saying much. Telephone poles are quicker and more mobile than Valuev.

Heavy_Hitter likes this.
  13. BubblesUK

BubblesUK Doesn't buy hypejobs Full Member

May 6, 2021
    Indeed.

When you have a champion who held the belt that long, ducked undisputed against a fairly average unified champion and spent most of his reign knocking out journeymen... It's got to count for something.

Normally longevity is a sign of strength, but when your longevity comes as a result of cowardice in matchmaking it suggests a deep seated disbelief in your own ability to step up.

14. red corner

red corner Active Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2021
    But he had title defenses. I'd say Braddock.

15. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Haye stunned him for a split second in the 12th and Haye is a much better boxer than Wilder.
    In which department is Wilder superior to Valuev? Only speed.

Surrix likes this.