Questions About Floyd Mayweather to Leonard/Hearns/Duran Comparison

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by walk with me, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    No one is doubting that Floyd's a great fighter..but if he were fighting in the Feb 4 era I think he'd be on the outside looking in, in terms of where he stood. Nothing wrong with that..after all these are ATG fighters, 3 of whom have a significant size advantage over Floyd.

2. Jeff Lantz

Jeff Lantz Retired sandman Full Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Hearns could ko Jones , Froch , Calzaghe and maybe even Bernard if he lands one of his bombs.

Durans' name should not even be used in the same thread as Mayweather. For Floyd to come close to Roberto in my eyes he has to fight another 27 years to match the five decades Duran fought in. This makes him 63 years old then. Still think he is in the same ballpark as Duran? I don't.

3. DBLOCK

DBLOCK Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 27, 2011
    it always joys me when old school legends are pitted against new school legends.well,duran did say mayweather would ne just a ormal fighter then.rodman said lebron would just be another player then.what do YOU believe?

4. Vanboxingfan

Feb 5, 2005
    The simple answer is watch both and form your own opinion. Duran and Mayweather are completely different types of fighters and it may very well boil down to what style preference you prefer, sort of along the same lines as Tyson and Ali. But preferences aside, Duran certainly fought better competitio and had a far more impressive resume.

5. prelude

prelude Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Duran has no significant win, Floyd has Corrales

Floyd beating Corrales > Duran entire career

6. Vanboxingfan

Feb 5, 2005
    You should be banned for making such a stupid comment.

7. ThaWiseJester

ThaWiseJester Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 28, 2009

And he lost to every top fighter being they were better competition,so how is he still favored..

8. HolyCityBully

HolyCityBully Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 25, 2007
    ******ed.

On both counts.

Hearns would get killed by guys like Jones, Bernard and Toney at 160 or above. They would see his right hands coming a mile away.

The idea that another fighter has to do the exact same thing the previous one did to match him is just dumb. Every career is different. Thats like me saying Duran isnt undefeated so he could never match Cal.

9. SonOfCuba

SonOfCuba Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Floyd has fought two prime fighters in the last seven years, Hatton and Canelo.

Stop it.

10. Vanboxingfan

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm not sure what you mean by favored.. I said his comp was better.

Tell you what when Mayweather starts beating middleweights like Duran did we could begin to have a discussion, and only some naïve to boxing wouldn't value Duran's win over SRL to any Mayweather's win he's had so far.

11. tennis

tennis Boxing Addict Full Member

May 5, 2013
    Two biggest challenges floyd could have faced

Legend Williams who destroyed margarito and winky

Or manny pacquiao, probably top five of all time

Floyd ran like a *****

12. bfaison

bfaison Member Full Member

Feb 28, 2012

So youre saying Guerrero and Oritiz weren't prime? Plus he's only had 8 fights in 7 years, making half his opponents prime.

13. Realm21

Realm21 Realm 21 Full Member

Sep 28, 2013
    I will start off by saying, since I was a kid that Sugar Ray Leonard has been my favorite fighter hands down. I have watched numerous of fights and tapes of the great 4 in SRL, Hearns, Duran, and Hagler and have been a big fan of all of them. If my life was on the line to pick a winner I would pick Floyd Mayweather to beat all four of these guys and Im not sure its even close by my estimation based. As great as these fighter are, I think Floyd would toy with all of them. We all like to romanticize with the past and talk about all the great fighters of old and compare them with today's fighters and say that SRL, Hearns and the like would have beat the fighters of today for witch I mostly agree. Except for when it comes to Floyd. Although not a huge fan of him personally and taking all the emotion out of it, I think he is the BEST FIGHTER I have ever seen period. And thinking long and hard there is not a name that i can come up with that I wouldent pick Floyd to beat. Having said that I think Floyd fighting Duran at 135 would have been interesting since Duran is considered the greatest lightweight ever. I think he dominates SRL at any weight. Hearn would be interesting based just on his punching power and height alone. The only way Marvin has a chance is if Floyd fought for the first time at 160 and Ill still bet Floyd. All of you who talk about the great four remember that ALL of these guys got hit and took a lot of punishment. Floyd has been " really " hurt 1 time in his whole dam career. He dose'nt get hit at all. With the exception of power he is hands down better than any of the great four. Speed, quickness, legs, defense, stamina, INSTINCTS, timing, the ability to adapt, and is easily the best counter puncher to ever live. I hate to say but real is real. If you really think about it. IF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER OR MOM OR DADS LIFE WAS ON THE LINE that you had to pick a winner between Floyd and any of the great four. Who would you pick? I'd take Floyd straight up!

14. SgrRyLeonard

SgrRyLeonard Active Member Full Member

Jun 4, 2006
    There are fighters in this era that Mayweather could have fought but didn't, and none of them are the threat that the fab 4 would be. I don't see him beating the greater threat when there are lesser threats he didn't face.

15. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    This must be a troll post, because this is just pure fantasy!

For starters, if Floyd had been around in their era, would he even have fought any of them?

I don't think so.

As great as Floyd is, he's never beaten a prime ATG, he swerved Manny, and he wouldn't let Canelo weigh 154, when he was happy to fight Oscar and Cotto there.

They're facts.

So again, the chances of him even signing the contracts would have been slim to none.

You can take Hagler out of the debate straight away. Do you seriously think that a guy who would only fight Canelo at a catchweight, would have fought Marvin at 160? It's laughable.

Duran at 135, could have been amazing. But again, would he have taken the fight?

Forget all about Hearns. I don't think Floyd would have fought Hearns for $100m! Tommy was 6'2, with a 79' reach, a fantastic jab, and a HUGE amount of firepower that could crush anyone at 147. Floyd at 5'8 wouldn't have had a chance of out boxing him. The only way to beat Tommy was to fight him. Floyd doesn't fight. Ray Leonard was as good as Floyd. He was as quick, and as skilled, but was bigger, stronger and had more power. Ray tried to out box Tommy, and he couldn't do it. He was forced to have a shoot out with him in the center of the ring. Could you envisage Floyd trying to fight (not box) a peak Tommy Hearns? I certainly can't.

Ray Leonard, as above, was just as fast, just as skilled, better offensively, was bigger, stronger, with more power, and he had a will that Floyd simply doesn't possess.

If you think Floyd would have dominated Ray Leonard, then there should be some medication out there to help you.

You can't seriously think that the guy who struggled with Castillo, and had trouble with a past his best, inactive, 34 year old De La Hoya, would have TOYED with the Fab Four?

Really?

My advice to you, is don't leave the house. :good