Rafael Herrera MD12 Chucho Castillo

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Jul 17, 2010.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Lots of interest in this fight when I was talking about having watched it a few days ago so I uploaded.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHirHiKvD9k[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3NxgXWQUtg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiRizB6FAM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUZqPT4UyfQ[/ame]

2. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    YES!!!!!
    Many thanks.

3. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks, McGrain, can't wait to sit down and watch it.

Scartissue

4. El Bujia

El Bujia Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Will definitely be watching it soon, likely tomorrow. I'll get back to you guys with my thoughts when I do. Big fan of these guys, especially Castillo.

5. natonic

natonic Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Awesome, great upload!! I say keep that avatar around for awhile too.

6. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Was a big fan of these two back in their heyday...I was impressed at how Castillo sucked up everything that Olivares hit him with in three fights without ever hitting the deck, and likewise I was impressed at the disciplined, calculating way that Herrera took Ruben apart, bloodied him and dispensed of him by ko 8 in Mar., '72..Herrera reminded me of a smaller Carlos Monzon in that one.

7. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    McGrain, finally got a chance to sit down and watch it. Great little fight. Herrera's strong jab and body attack against Castillo's very versatile counters. Still had Herrera the winner, not by much. The 12th round was terrific, they let it all hang out. I have to ask you, I remember this card. I looked it up on boxrec and I saw 3 out of the 4 fights this night. I did not see the Napoles-Josselin fight but did see this one, the Gutierrez-Cabanela fight and the Olivares-Galeano fight. Do you have access to either of those fights?

Scartissue

8. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    El Buija, slightly off topic, how did you see Castillo vs Rose going? I know you have been critical of Rose before and this was arguably his closest call as Champion.

Also I wish my computer wasnt a hunk of junk and I could watch this.

9. El Bujia

Apr 4, 2010
    I haven't seen it, unfortunately. On the fortunate side, though, an online friend of mine is in the process of uploading a whole shitload of quality fights to Youtube and is constantly taking requests from me. Among my recent requests was that very fight. So hopefully it'll be put up soon. Have you seen it? I expect it would've been an excellent technical affair.

10. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Been a while since I seen it. If I remember right it was a cracking fight, but I dont remember much. I remember I felt Rose got it but it was close, not riot worthy though.

I'll need to re-watch some Rose fights again soon.

11. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Did any of you see Olivares-Herrera 2? How close did you have it and how bad did Ruben ding him in the last round?

12. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    I saw it. There was no dispute with the decision. Herrera really controlled most of the fight, dropping Olivares along the way. But I had Olivares taking the last 3 rounds and it was a beautiful right hand he caught Herrera with. Really buzzed him. Can't recall how much time there was in the 10th when he caught him.

Scartissue

13. My2Sense

My2Sense Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 21, 2008
    I have it on tape, and I've watched it a couple times. I don't remember the last round, but I remember Olivares boxing well early (better than in their first fight), but Herrera dropping him somewhere in the middle rounds and appearing to discourage him somewhat. I remember thinking it was a close-ish fight, but the KD sealed it for Herrera.

14. El Bujia

Apr 4, 2010
    Being the lasy, alchoholic, pill-poppin' ******* that I am, I didn't strictly score this fight, as per usual. I just went with my own "watch it and come to your own conclusion" strategy. That being said, I thought Castillo won this fight. Clearly. Excellent fight, mind you, but I just felt he not only exhibited superior skill-set, but landed the cleaner shots and blended together his offense and defense more convincingly. Which pretty much goes hand in hand with "exhibited superior skill-set", making that statement more or less useless.

Also, Chucho Castillo is one of the 10 best Bantamweights I've ever seen, if not top 5.

15. AlFrancis

AlFrancis Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2008
    I'll be seeing Herrera in Wales in a few days. Hopefully I'll get a chance to speak to him.
    The 60's and 70's really was a great time for Mexican Bantams and I'd put Castillo right up there. I don't think he get his due credit on here. I'd rate his win over Olivares more than Herrera's.