Randy Shields

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Saintpat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Early in that match, if you recall, Mo was taking it to Benitez on the ropes behind his right jab, and enjoyed some fleeting success the commentators made note of, but then inexplicably got away from it, with fatal consequences. Countering that jab could have been a wearying effort for Wilfred. Hope was a smarter and more versatile boxer than to discard a tactic which was affording him some opportunity to at least neutralize Benitez somewhat, and I've always been baffled as to why he didn't continue attacking behind that jab.

This was hardly the first time I'd been frustrated watching a Hope bout. After he decked Mattioli in the opening round of his title crowning effort, causing Rocky to fall on his right arm and shatter it, I was enthralled with millions of other satellite viewers watching Mattioli's courageous one handed attack through excruciating agony, and rooted for him somehow to prevail through the adversity, but it wasn't to be.

In Hope-Mattioli II, a faded Rocky undertook an early body attack, and it briefly looked as if he might regain the title, but again, as Hope would later abandon his right jab against Benitez, so too would Mattioli forsake his body punching, and again succumb to Mo's punch variety.

2. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Thanks Duodenum...I remember faintly the Hope-Matteoli fight...I was somewhat intrigued with Rocky after he ko'ed Ekhard Dagge back in the mid 70's.

3. ThinBlack

ThinBlack Boxing Addict banned

Sep 18, 2007
    I know that there are a few people who think Randy beat Ray in their '78 fight, but maybe it was just close due to SRL telegraphing his punches.

4. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I was a huge Randy Shields fan growing up. I thought he beat Cuevas and that he would've beat Hearns but for the cuts, though I haven't seen either fight since they happened and my memory may not be accurate. He was also the vehicle for the Goosen entrance into boxing.

5. kikibalt

kikibalt Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2011
    This content is protected

Back row, third from right, a young Randy Shields seen here with the 1973 Los Angeles National Golden Gloves team, of which I (far left back row)was the head coach. Front row in white T is Art Frias who won the WBA Lightweight title.

6. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Cool photo kiki...thanks.

How did the team go?

7. kikibalt

kikibalt Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2011
    We came home with one national champion. Roy Hollis, 165 pound champ, back row, third from left.