Randy Turpin vastly underrated?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SuzieQ49, Jun 19, 2022.

1. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    who cares man? What are you trying to say? Marciano beat the bag out of archie Moore who clowned on Jimmy Slade easily. This thread is about Turpin not Marciano

2. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Long before Pryor had the Hawk Time routine, and a lot of people don't know this, as I think it's where he got it from, Randy would have an entourage go with him on his jogs and he'd yell "Turpin!" and his entourage would yell "Time!" and the press would ask him stuff like "Are you trying to make it sound like a play on turpentine?" and he'd be like "With all due respect, gentlemen, if you don't get it, that's on you." and then he'd go back to shouting his name so his entourage could shout back. It was really great, motivational fun. But it was weird for its time. Excellent fighter. Now, he wouldn't address whether it was a play on words but wouldn't deny it either. Taken together with the very strange post fight interview he had after his Luc van Dam performance, where he curiously shouted "I'm so economical I should be used as an alternative to whale oil!" I feel it is safe to say it was probably a play on words to sound like turpentine. But God knows.

SuzieQ49 likes this.
  3. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    I'll go as far as to say that if Turpin didn't have severe mental/emotional issues, which I feel held him back greatly even when it wasn't as obvious, he could have potentially been one of the very best MWs ever.

4. Liston73

Liston73 Active Member banned Full Member

Jun 8, 2022
    He was pretty deaf and he loved *****,I don't know about any other severe issues he had until he went skint after buying a castle in Wales ,and became depressed?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  5. Rope-a-Dope

Jan 20, 2015
    He attempted suicide in 1945, a year before even starting his boxing career. He always had other issues, including tumultuous marriages, during his career too.

6. Liston73

Jun 8, 2022
    I've only two books onTurpin ,neither mention a suicide attempt in 45,have you any details you can share with us?

7. Rope-a-Dope

Jan 20, 2015
    Jack Birtley "The Tragedy of Randolph Turpin" makes this claim. The suicide attempt was later ruled an accident, most likely to just make the situation go away rather than punish him, as attempting suicide was actually a crime back then.

8. Liston73

Jun 8, 2022
    That's on page 26 and its very inconclusive imo.

9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Turpin looks on film like he literally wanted to commit murder. Scary man at his best