Rank Larry Holmes Top 5 oponents

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Nov 19, 2019.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I feel Tyson was Holmes best opponent but from 1-5 rank Larry`s best foes, No.1 being the best.

2. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Tyson
    Holyfield
    Norton, but Kenny was slipping and ready to be taken. It wasn't an old Holmes fighting a prime Norton afterall
    Ali. Terrific opponent, just showed up with nothing
    Spinks

3. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Do you rate Norton above Tyson?

4. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Holyfield
    Tyson
    Norton
    Spinks
    Mercer

Fergy likes this.
  5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Tyson was better in `88 than Holy was when he fought Holmes.

Seamus likes this.
  6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I'll second this.

7. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Holyfield
    Tyson
    This content is protected
    Weaver
    Shavers

Holy was in his prime against Holmes, and to me the former is just one notch below prime Larry as ATG. Mike was also prime. I doubt either would have beat LH in his prime, Holy loss by split decision, Mike loses by 11th round TKO (at the latest).

To me Norton's prime was between 1973-1977, so he was just past it when he fought Larry (the only thing I saw deteriorating was his speed, really, and that not by a striking margin).

Holmes fought Shavers both during and just past his prime (but Ernie was a seriously dangerous fighter anytime before 1981 or so). Shavers had PLENTY left when he faced Holmes that second time, he just didn't have as much stamina (watch him against Ali) and didn't put punches together quite as well (the first time they fight I think ES' punch stats were higher, he just landed less often. I could be wrong).

Mike Weaver was considered by many to be the second best heavyweight in the world after his 1st fight with Larry, and I feel that continued past his Coetzee defense. Being second best in the world at the time might not be anywhere near what it was in the 70s, however it was still second best to a champion that practically nobody disputed, a great-in-the-making.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I think the Holmes/Weaver might have beaten Ali anytime right around the third Norton fight to the end.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    jowcol likes this.
  8. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    I think there's a heck of a strong argument for that...I just can't place Mike over Holy. It's just Holy's style and heart...he was so good at darting in and out, not always very easy to hit. And he was no joke from different angles.

I realize this might not be a popular opinion, but that same shot that caught Mike coming in, the one everyone knew would catch up to Mike eventually, would have come up for the two during their primes as well imo. Mike was wide open coming in and it was Holy who first really took advantage of it. A prime Holy would have done the same thing...only faster. Holy in 8.

Just my opinion.

9. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    That right hand of Shavers was worth as 5 opponents.

10. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Golden_Feather99 likes this.
  11. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    It really was the equalizer. Larry forever dismissed the intimations of dog when he got up and back in control over one of the most nuclear right hands in boxing history.

steve21 and Boxing2019 like this.
  12. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Most of greatness of Holmes is not so much that he was as a complete fighter as he could get up after that Shavers bomb

13. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Mike Tyson
    Ken Norton
    Michael Spinks
    Evander Holyfield
    Tim Witherspoon

Honorable mention: Earnie Shavers

Earnie almost stopped Holmes, but all the above guys were better all around fighters than Shavers.

14. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Clinton likes this.
  15. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    I would have included Spinks, but to me he was only ATG at light heavy. I thought he was kind of a meh heavyweight who came at the right time. Just my opinion, big fan of Michael at light-heavy.