Rank Muhammad Ali's Challengers - 1st Reign

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sweetsci, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Would you say he destroyed Cooper in that fight Richard?
    Maybe my memory isn't what it was but I seem to recall a pretty competitive fight with Ali taking Henry much more seriously and being right on his game.

2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Well ITs hard to place Liston because its obvious he took a dive in the 2nd fight and either took a five or quit in the first fight. So let's take him out.

Patterson did reasonable we'll vs Ali, even with back issues, so I'm listing him first.

Patterson
    Terrell
    Chuvalo
    Folley
    Mildenberger
    Cooper
    Williams
    London

Some of these guys did not deserve shots. It's on the light side to be honest. At least Ali was active.

PhillyPhan69 and sweetsci like this.
  3. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Terrell was the best at the time. The Ingo timeline never worked (think they sparred and Ali whooped him so doubt he would have gotten a fight anyway). Leotis career was tragically ended early. I don’t see how he could be criticized for missing that. Spencer was mediocre and not really worth a mention of missing.

4. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Terrell has one of the best records all time. Literally. You’d be hard pressed to tell me many who had better scalps then
    Folley
    Machen
    Doug Jones
    Williams
    Chuvalo
    Foster
    Garcia
    These were damn good fighters. And it’s absurd you would think of him as anything less then an A+ contender.

5. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Sonny liston has to be number one. He decimated patterson. It just turned out ali had the perfect style for him.

I still dont think liston took a dive as such as in it being a betting coup or whatever. You can almost physically see the point he knows he couldnt do anything with ali in that second fight. Ali was also a lot more confident and aggresive thst second fight add to that he had the perfect style to best liston. Liston was a beast of a man...would have beat everyone on that list. Its just that ali,s style and toolset was a nightmare for him and liston choked because of it. He could go toe to toe with anyone and few could get out of the way of his reach...but ali was a one off with his movement. For once liston couldnt get to an opponent to go toe to toe from there he didnt know what to do. Ended with him choking imo.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  6. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I always wanted to see that one.

7. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Sorry we are on different planets as far as agreeing on Terrell.

8. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    I believe that fight was on his schedule, in April 1967, he was supposed to have a rematch with Floyd Patterson. On May 27 1967, he was supposed to fight Oscar Bonavena in Tokyo, Japan. I would think that a fight against Thad Spencer would have been slated for July 1967, but Muhammad Ali was indicted for Draft Evasion on April 28 1967, sentenced to 5 years in prison, and a $10,000 fine on June 20 1967. His boxing license revoked and stripped of his title.

9. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    At the time of Ali's ban from boxing, Joe Frazier was no. 1 contender, but his management was very reluctant to put him in the ring with Ali. According to Yank Durham, Joe Is Too Green For Clay. But after the March 22 1967 title defense knockout victory over Zora Folley, Ali said that he wanted either Thad Spencer or Buster Mathis. Angelo Dundee mentioned Eduardo Corletti to fight announcer Don Dunphy.

Ra's Al-Ghul and Bokaj like this.
  10. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I've heard that Bonavena was a possible opponent as well. And even a Patterson rematch.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  11. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    Do you say the same of Rigo vs Loma as well?

And Rigo wasn't even being beat up as badly as Patterson was, even though he quit earlier.

12. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    Is there any other fight in history - ANY other fight - where a guy gets beaten up and outclassed for the whole of the fight, as long as it lasted, but the result is still called somewhat in doubt because of a claimed injury?

Even Cerdan was actually fairly competitice against LaMotta according to reports, even though it''s clear to see that he's one-armed from round one.

So is there any other fight other than Ali-Floyd 1 where this is the case?

13. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    No sure what Rigo or Loma have to do with this thread. Rigo didn't win two rounds it was one sided.

IMO for a while Patterson, past his best was doing well vs. the 1960's Ali and he lost in 12.

14. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Oscar Bonavena was scheduled for May 27 1967 in Tokyo, Japan, and Floyd Patterson for April 1967, nut Ali was indicted for Draft Evasion on April 28 1967, convicted on June 20 1967, sentenced to five years in prison, and a $ 10,000 fine. Ali lost his boxing license and was stripped of his title.

Bokaj likes this.
  15. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    "Doing well"? Have you watched the fight? It was a complete and utter domination. That Ali just danced around Floyd and threw no punches for the first round doesn't change that.

He dominated him in more violent fashion and did more damage than Loma did to Rigo. So if the result of Ali-Floyd 1 is anything less but emphatic the same is more true of Loma-Rigo.