Rate Joe Louis' chin

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ForemanJab, Nov 23, 2017.

Louis' chin

1. 1

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. 4

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. 5

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. 6

12 vote(s)
    14.0%
  7. 7

28 vote(s)
    32.6%
  8. 8

21 vote(s)
    24.4%
  9. 9

9 vote(s)
    10.5%
  10. 10

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. moneytheman12

moneytheman12 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 4, 2021
    for his time good compared to real hw bad

2. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    McVey being banned is basically why I don't post here anymore.

Nighttrain, Tonto62 and swagdelfadeel like this.
  3. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I gave him a 9. His chin was thoroughly tested over his career, and it withstood those tests.

ETM likes this.
  4. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Yeah but this is about strength of the chin, not ability to recover from knockdowns. You think Louis chin was as Holmes? I don’t.

5. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Why?

6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    10 I agree is unjustifiable, but 9 might be, depending on what 9 means to you.

7. jabber74

jabber74 Active Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Conn, a light puncher with only 14 KOs, and a super-middle by today's standards, wobbled the hell out of him. Louis was better than all the rest of the heavies of his era, had good hand speed and power, so few could take advantage of his chin. I still view his chin as suspect.

8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Wobbled him.

Wobbled him.

Do you mean to say, that he literally wobbled him!!!!!!

9. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Recovering from a knockdown is everything to do with chin in my book. Personally i think Louis and Holmes are very close - both got knocked down a bit but both seldom ever stayed down. Both came back to win on almost every occasion. If you don't "recover" well you don't get up or you are liable to get stopped soon after.

Monzon got dropped by a flush unseen right hand from Valdez and was getting up before he'd hit the floor and it was like it never happened. Recovery at it's absolute finest.

Tonto62 likes this.
  10. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Perfectly said. However, we have to give him fine recuperability, which is part of a chin too.

But yeah, he simply fought too many tomatos to take advantage of that so called "chin vulnerability".

jabber74 likes this.
  11. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    :confused:
    Well.....

One of them got up from a Boxing Hydrogen Bomb of a fellow, who stopped almost every boxer he won against, the other came back against Tony Galento.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  12. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Being 'chinny' and being susceptible to a certain punch are two different things. Was Louis 'chinny'? Most certainly not. Was he susceptible to the right hand? It appears so, going by his knockdowns. Its not more than an 8 nor less than a 7 so id have it around the 7.5 if i can ;)

13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Well.....

Holmes was also dropped by Snipes, heavily. Louis, after taking a few hydrogen bombs from Baer (a harder hitter than Snipes let it be said) came straight back to have him in absolute all sorts.

Tillis came back from a very similar impact against that hydrogen bomb of a fellow. Don't think for a second that Galento didn't hit hard. I reckon there would be plenty in here would say he hit harder than Snipes.

Louis more susceptible to a flash KD maybe, but he also fought guys like Walcott who could absolutely time you out of no-where so there's that. Ask Ezzard.

Both could hit the canvas but both were very likely going to come back. Both never had to come back against an ATG who could whack and also finish like a Liston, Foreman or Tyson so how that would play out is up to the imagination.

70sFan865 likes this.
  14. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Suspect but he did have good recovery

15. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    Thats a bit weird, isn´t it?

Max Baer was landing a punch like Earny Shavers did on Joe Louis ?
    As far as I know, Max Baer, as some might argue with damaged hands, put up some of his bar brawling attempts, but got punched in the face hilmself.

You know very well that Ernie Shavers reached the end of his career with Tillis (next to some lala comebacks), beeing in his mid/early 30s fighting Larry.

Comparing Galento with Snipes? :confundio1:
    Snipes would be some sort of athletic 215lb god if he fought in Joe Louis era, while Galento prob. made it into the circus instead of HW pro boxing.
    But okay. Lets say Galento hit hard. Isn´t that really what people are bringing up in here? That the fellows Louis fought simply were too terrible to hurt him again? Apart from that, I believe that you really had to tag Holmes with a huge shot to put him down. And afterwards, keep him down.
    What if Gerry Cooney was in the position of Buddy Baer? Or Shavers, no, not even Shavers, lets say Renaldo Snipes in the position of "Two Ton" Bumlento? Might Louis´ title run come to an end ?

And apart from that: Joe Louis did in fact get stopped by a fighter at young age (Schmeling). 38 years old Larry Holmes only ever got stopped by an absolute prime version of the most extreme Power*Speed Terror the HW-Division had ever seen.

I have a hard time finding Louis on the same "chin vulnerability" than Larry Holmes really.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021