Rate Larry Holmes' chin

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GOAT Primo Carnera, Dec 1, 2021.

Holmes' chin

1. 1

2. 2

3. 3

4. 4

5. 5

6. 6

7. 7

8. 8

9. 9

10. 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
  2. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    7 or so out of 10, aided by his 10 out of 10 recovery powers.

A really hard shot could score a flash knockdown on him, but he'd get up, and he'd recover real quick. To compare him to another ATG I'd rate lower here, those two flash KO's of Lewis would not have ended Larry. He'd have got up and recovered.

Rakesh, Smokin Bert and cross_trainer like this.
  3. red corner

red corner Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 9, 2021
    Only down twice in his 48 fights and not again until he was 38 years old vs a prime Tyson. Fought his share of punchers. 9 out of 10 and his recovery ability was good.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  4. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    In terms of delivering a good punch, most definitely.

Looks like you need alot of wall to "adjust" these statements of yours.

Regarding Max Baer: Did he land a comparable Shavers-like atomic bomb on Joe Louis, a simple yes or no ?

What is all this ramblin on Ernie Shavers anyway? Because you finally found someone of his dozens of victims he couldn´t stop? The next sentence, you call Shavers putting durable Bugner on his arse...

I´m not saying Galento couldn´t land a solid punch. I´m sayn a circus brawler continuing his job is something else than a professional soundly looking boxer like Shavers or Snipes. And I´m not the only one feeling this way. Asking me if Butterbean could punch in this context? Yes he could, and Holmes had zero problem with this guy at the age of 52. Is that the difference you wanted to argue with Galento - Butterbean ?

And yep, Louis had fine recuperability. So did Holmes. Difference for me: Holmes did it against better fighters and harder punches.

Regarding Schmeling, Isaac etc. : Shall we list how often Louis and Holmes got dropped/stopped ? Because thats what you had to do to compare them of course. I can´t see them differing for only 0.5 points really.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  5. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    But that was one of the only things Galento was good at. He could definitely "deliver" a good powerful hook. If shavers delivery was an 8 Galento might be a 7. I wouldn't put Shavers too much higher honestly.

6. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    About an 8 or 9. Probably would have taken a drop if he fought guys like Page, or possibly Coetzee.

7. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    About 9.
    in 75 fights, only three men ever got him off his feet, Earnie Shavers, in their second fight, Renaldo Snipes, with a mighty shot in their fight, (both those fights Larry got up and won) and Mike Tyson, when he was 38 and had been retired for two years. Larry’s whiskers are right up there with the likes of George and Ali and ranked a bit lower than McCall and Chuvalo IMO.

8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Right up there with anybody, outside of the people who were renowned just for having incredible chins, and not much else.

9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    The shot he took from Shavers...I doubt even Ali could have taken that on his feet.

I remember my father and I getting completely , vocally astonished...crying "WOW" at the actual shot, then gasping when Holmes got up. Neither of us could get over his getting back in command after a round...it was borderline supernatural.

The flush shots of Tim were pretty devastating as well. Holmes came back then too, despite the fact that he was unquestionably out on his feet.

GoldenHulk, Lenny, Tonto62 and 3 others like this.
  10. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Hm. I don't see Coetzee getting close enough to hit to make that kind of mark. Page would have landed more, but I don't believe he hit hard enough to drop him.

I always thought Holmes should have simply got Page out of the way, and was foolish to overbargain the fight away. He could have won a pretty resounding decision against him (I never thought much of Greg) and silenced some foolish naysayers.

Thomas would have had a better chance of dropping Holmes imo.

rinsj, Tonto62, Fergy and 1 other person like this.
  11. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    9 with a 10 on recooperative powers and heart ...

12. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Similar to Joe Louis and Tyson Fury...chin is only a 7 or so, but his recuperative powers are off the charts. You can hurt him, or even knock him down, but he's getting back up and beating your ass.

13. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Strong possibility. I was thinking Greg was fluid enough to catch Larry, but maybe I am wrong.

14. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Kevin Isaac knocked Larry down in the second round of Larry’s sixth fight (or so). He got up and took Isaac out in the third.

The ref didn’t call a flash knockdown by Mike Weaver but it looks like a knockdown.

I still put Larry somewhere around an 7-8 on chin and about 11 or 12 on a scale 1-10 on recuperative powers.

15. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Brilliant chin, I'll say 9.