Rate the power of these 5 Middleweights #1-5.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JohnThomas1, Aug 8, 2022.

1. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Golovkin, Hagler, Monzon, Jones and SRR.

If you have trouble letting go of same day weigh in vs not simply judge them by how their power affected their peers and how it compared to their peers. We are talking top end power.

Fergy and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    #05. Carlos Monzon
    #04. Marvin Hagler
    #03. Gennady Golovkin
    #02. Sugar Ray Robinson
    #01. Roy Jones Jr.

Jason Gordon, Fergy, META5 and 2 others like this.
  3. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Roy Jones
    Ray Robinson
    GGG
    Monzon-Hagler (Bout the same me thinks)

Smokin Bert and Fergy like this.
  4. Fourth_Horseman

Fourth_Horseman Member Full Member

May 12, 2022
    #01.Marvin Hagler
    #02. Sugar Ray Robinson
    #03. Carlos Monzon
    #04. Roy Jones Jr
    #05. Gennady Golovkin

Fergy likes this.
  5. Austinboxing

Austinboxing British Boxing fan Full Member

Jul 8, 2021
    1. GGG
    2. RJJ
    3. SRR
    4. MMH
    4. CEM

Fergy and JohnThomas1 like this.
  6. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Carlos Monzon was 89-3-9, 61 KO's, went undefeated in his last 82 fights from Oct 9 1964 until his retirement as champion after 14 successful title defenses, Nov 7 1970 until his retirement on August 29 1977.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Fergy likes this.
  7. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I like this list, from young George.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Me too. Jones is an interesting one to rate. He doesn't have a lot of resume there and you could mount arguments for him both at the top and also closer to, say, #3.

George Crowcroft and Fergy like this.
  9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I've spoken about it before, but I think using his body of work from the higher weights is fair game in the sense that he did go and do that, but the others suffer in the same way because they didn't. But Jones cracked some granite chins and really all it takes is to watch him liquidise guys like Tate, Hill, Sosa or Malinga and you'll see just how hard he could hit.

I think he's in the running as the most dangerous middleweight ever, in an absolute sense, not just of these guys. Like as a big middleweight and so proven at the weights above - and having destroyed everyone at 160, bar B-Hop & Castro - I think he's right up there. You'll never convince me that Bennie Briscoe who was 15lbs smaller, doesn't have any of the same acclaim, and visibly doesn't show the same devastating effects, hits harder than Roy Jones Jr.

A lot of what Jones did gets overrated - in particular, his defence - but his power is massively underrated IMO. Shame he could be ponderous when it came to forcing stoppages.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  10. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I`d rate each one based on how many one punch KO`s they had, I`ve only seen footage of Ray knocking out one fighter with one punch, that was Gene Fullmer which was a feat hard to match, maybe the shot Hagler caught Hearns with that sent him across the ring, but Hearns had already been stopped at 147 by SRL, looking through youtube I couldn`t find Monzon knocking any fighter out with one shot, Jones sparked Tate with one shot and proved he had the power to stop light heavies plus he was a lot bigger than Hagler, Robinson and GGG in terms of natural muscle mass, he trained down to 160, also haven`t seen any footage of GGG sparking fighters with one shot, back when I watched his fights with Brook and Canelo, his power looked very good but not lethal, so based on all this I would put Jones top follwed closely by Ray, in third place GGG, then Hagler tied with Monzon, however Hagler may have been the best finisher at 160, because of how he could dismantle his opponents by wearing them down and hitting them with hard combos etc.

11. ivancho

ivancho Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2020
    1/ hagler
    2/ ggg
    3/ sugar ray
    4/ monzon
    5/ roy jones jr

12. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    1. GGG
    2. RJJ
    3. Hagler, Ray and Monzon were all pretty close.

I think RJJ's speed more than his power is what made him so lethal. He was able to catch guys with shots from angles they weren't expecting. GGG's power was more traditional and based off of timing.

Another very important thing to point out is that RJJ and GGG would most certainly be fighting at 175 if they fought in the same day weigh in era. Sugar Ray too me is the hardest puncher pound for pound but was a natural WW.

BCS8 likes this.
  13. FastLeft

FastLeft Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2022
    Ray Robinson is #1
    look at the KO

mark ant likes this.
  14. Alexandrow Vids

Alexandrow Vids Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2014
    1. Robinson
    2. Jones
    3. Hagler
    4. GGG
    5. Monzon

mark ant and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  15. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    This content is protected

FastLeft and Richard M Murrieta like this.