Rating all of Matchroom and Queensburys 2019 British shows

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by NasalSpray, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Not at all so stop trying to twist it. Last night there was 2 can crusher shows. One was better than the other because they picked the wrong opponent for maxwell. The other show involved a world title bout. They were both poor. And yes area level fights are able to be competitive but they’re unable to be 7/10 in quality. That’s the reason it’s area level.

2. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    You probably didn't like the Ward Gatti fights either, too low quality for Scissors. You'd prefer watching replays of AJ Vs Takam cause it's higher level

3. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    AJ's dismantling of Johnson was very impressive. That's a hard dude to get rid of.

Scissors and Twentyman like this.
  4. Scissors

Feb 11, 2018
    Yes. The midlands area title fight was up there with some of the greatest fights of all time between someone who went on to win the WBC a year or so later and a former (some version of it at least) world champ.

5. Scissors

Feb 11, 2018
    What a night.

First and foremost fair play to Joe Hughes, I thought it would be a walk in the park for Robbie but Hughes is some fighter, he deserves films/documentaries about him. A great fight but not really enjoyed by the casuals. I did have Robbie just nicking it by one but that scorecard of 118-110 was a disgrace.

Price vs Ali. The arenas roof came off for price. Honestly, some reception before and even afterward a lacklustre performance. Ali got drinks thrown at him and lots of abuse and the arena was bouncing.

The mood then dampened somewhat with the ladies boxing. I know Tasha’s Family really well but it nearly killed a really buzzing atmosphere.

Next up and should have been main event like cut throat fade had said beforehand. Arena full, absolutely bouncing. I know Eddie said a thousand from Preston were coming but I reckon there was closer to 3k of them! What a fight, sometimes these fights don’t live up to the hype but this was brilliant. I had Fowler ahead but thought he was gassing, think I had him even going in to the 9th but then what a round! Brilliant, Fowler took that to be 1 up for me. Then the tenth! Wow, fair play to Scott. Done extremely well and although the local nobhead got beat I’m happy for someone like SF who’s had his problems and overcame them to live a decent belt. I’d love a rematch.

The main event, exactly what I expected, 2 warriors head to head and going at it. It was brilliant but the atmosphere had gone because the show had dragged on too late, Fowler and Fitz had already been so all Preston ****ed off. It deserved more from the crowd.

A good night out all in all.

7.5 from me.

Inglis_1, Sphillips, Holler and 2 others like this.
  6. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Great show last night, 7/10. 3 fights that you didn't know who was gonna win until the end, 2 upsets and women geat performances all round.

7. NasalSpray

Oct 22, 2018
    Matchroom Liverpool

Davies Vs Hughes
    Good fight, competitive enough.

Price Vs Ali
    Awful, please don't put Price on big shows anymore his last three fights have been stinkers

Tash Jonas
    Bleh didn't need this

Fowler Vs Fitzgerald
    Great fight, loved it

Smith Vs Eggington
    Hard to watch, why they made this fight I will never no, it's borderline sadistic

Overall -
    6.5/10 mainly for Fowler -Fitz being one of the best domestic fights of the year. Price and the main event dissappointed.

8. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Yeah has to be a 7 from me. Drama, laughs, boxing skill, upset. Good night.

velagod likes this.
  9. Scissors

Feb 11, 2018
    Hahaha I knew you would score it lower than Leicester. There’s no chance.

Sphillips likes this.
  10. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I give it 8.5 - cracking night of boxthing except the pointless Jonas fight which really flattened the atmosphere.

Scissors likes this.
  11. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    7/10 and would've been more if Eggington was more competetive. It was just a little too one-sided. However, it was still enjoyable watching the skills of Beefy and the toughness of Eggington, albeit unintelligent toughness. Not like the main event ruined the card or anything, it just could've been a bit better.

A little switch of the main event and chief support and I probably would've given it an 8/10. Does that make sense? Probably not ha ha. The layout of a card is important though, you want it to finish on a high like the end of the Fowler/Fitzgerald fight. And what an intriguing fight it was.

Anyway, if Matchroom serve up that once or twice a month I'll forever keep my mouth shut. That's all we ask for.

12. NasalSpray

Oct 22, 2018
    Yeah I would have had a 7.5 if the main event was just Smith against someone who could defend themselves. It didn't need to be a world beater but someone who didn't look on the verge of parkinsons

13. iestyn999

iestyn999 Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I would give 7.5 just a shade better than the bt card last week but it was much better on paper.
    I enjoyed the hughes fight, the price fight was okay but it was interesting because price was blowing out his arse. Jonas fight next
    the fowler fight was class, i prefferred the maxwell fight thou but not the outcome.
    the main was too much of a mismatch for me to enjoy with smith doing alot more, at least it didn't go the distance like the gorman fight.
    so more cards like this please, should have put glover instead of jonas thou

14. Special one

Special one Active Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    8/10 action packed card that just lacked a real main event!! If that was Smith Brook fight at the end it's a top show!!

15. Emerald Oracle

Emerald Oracle Active Member Full Member

Nov 29, 2014
    6/10 for the Mismatchroom Liverpool card, could of done with some more quality fights but was good night of boxing. Main event was always going to be a mismatch. They need to stop putting these dire 'women'' boxing matches on the cards, Let them have their own cards.