Ray Mercer Good Chin or Small Head lol

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BoxingPurest, Mar 21, 2019.

1. BoxingPurest

BoxingPurest Active Member Full Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Considered wanna of the greatest chins in boxing history rightfully so! But was watching someone his fights last night the man for his body had a small head. Rarely took the shoot in the chin area. Thoughts lol

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He took a few of Lewis and most couldn't stand up to them, but he did. Regardless of where he was hit, he could take a blow with some of the best

3. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
  4. steve1990

steve1990 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2012
    The 2 times he was stopped way past his prime.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  5. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Any one was a sucker punch

6. BoxingPurest

Mar 6, 2019
    Had quite the punch as well Ray Mercer in his prime was not a cake walk for anybody thats for sure!

7. BoxingPurest

Mar 6, 2019
    Ya was sad to see him compete in that MMA junk at a late age, when i saw he fought and i hate to mention this name in this form Kimbo and lost I just couldn't believe that... no matter what age Mercer was! A guy like Kimbo wouldn't last 5 seconds against a young Ray Mercer in any situation.

8. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Ancient Larry Holmes didn’t seem to have much trouble with Prime Mercer.

9. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    You needed a heavier jab to beat Mercer with ease, hence why Holmes outboxed him. That or he needed to be on one of his 'cold' moments rather than 'hot'

BoxingPurest likes this.
  10. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Well, Mercer was hit by the best shots of Bert Cooper, Francesco Damiani, Morrison, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield and Tim Witherspoon repeatedly. He had a hell of a chin.

At 41, he took a lot of punishment before getting stopped by aggressive Wlad in 6.

And Briggs KO at 44 was not legit. Briggs hit Mercer to the back of the head and Ray tried to get DQ win, but was counted out instead. It looked like that, and few years ago Mercer confirmed he did it on purpose.

11. BoxingPurest

Mar 6, 2019
    Right exactly Mercer was hot and cold fight like Tua you just never knew what Mercer you were gonna get on the night. Good points on both!

lloydturnip and George Crowcroft like this.
  12. BoxingPurest

Mar 6, 2019
    Thats True lol

13. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Mercer didn't look to have an especially small head for his body. It was like a square block on a bigger square block, with no neck connecting the two.

And yes, he indisputably had a grade A+ chin.

14. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Head like a rock !. I would of like to of seen Mercer v Tyson .Ray was not afraid of any fighter including mike .cracking fight

15. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I have never heard this theory of the small head. It is possible in someway, although then would think a big punch on a smaller head would do more damage rather than less. Hagler was said to have a dense skull thickness I remember which some seemed to think helped him absorb a punch. I think the punch resistance has to do with concentration and tightening the body and thickness of the neck and body to absorb the punch.I think anyone can be knocked out if you hit them with a punch they don't see.

BoxingPurest likes this.