Razor Ruddock vs Old George

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by El Hans, Aug 14, 2019.

1. El Hans

El Hans Member banned Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Ruddock of the first Tyson fight
    Foreman of the Holyfield fight

Twelve rounds~

My personal opinion is that this would've been the best fight of both careers not of historical significance but of entertainment.

No doubt it's trench warfare the Old master was used to being a bully in the ring but Razor could pop and take a licking.

George is stronger, hits harder and has the chin but Razor has plenty of all those traits himself and the advantages of speed and youth who takes it?

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Rudduck would smash George, rebound of him then be brutally KOed.
    Rudduck doesn't have a speed advantage against almost anyone.

3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Would be like Foreman V Cooney but a little longer imo .
    Ruddock would bang away and catch , shake up Big George.
    But Foreman takes a punch well and rumble s on .
    A wide open Razor get s caught by a solid jab /over hand right , that knock s him flying . He'd get up but Foreman finish s the job .
    Foreman wko 6

4. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    This is pretty much me. Foreman would have bashed him harder than either Morrison or Tyson. A count out for sure.

Thinking again, I'm not sure Ruddock would make it six rounds.

Fergy likes this.
  5. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Old Foreman peaked in the Holyfield fight, and would have been a handful for nearly every heayweight. While it seemed ancient at the time, recent years have redefined what a 42 year old fighter is able to do, and we need to judge that version of Foreman on his abilities at the time. Huge physical strength, granite chin, composure under fire, and able to keep going for 12 rounds.

Ruddock in theory was able to outbox Foreman, and could end up doing a Morrison or even a Stewart job on him. By that point though, Razor was smash happy and in love with his power. It's unlikely he'd have the discipline to execute that plan though, and he's more likely to fall into the Cooney trap of letting the punches fly and getting caught with something in return. Old Foreman was never quick, but he was harder to hit than advertised and was very good at rolling with shots. Unless Ruddock lands an unholy shot that flattens the big fella, at some point if Foreman stands in the pocket he'll tag Ruddock, and he was a ruthless finisher.

Foreman by mid rounds stoppage.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  6. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Perhaps not tbh , maybe hed get kod pretty fast as he did with Lewis ?

7. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Foreman hit harder and heavier. Ruddock wasn't exactly a boxing wizard so yeah, once George started connecting (not hard at all with Ruddock) it's over.

The fact that Tyson had so much trouble with RR is ample testament to the fact that 90s Tyson was a different beast from 80s. People like Bowe and Holyfield would ultimately have wrecked both RR and Mike at the time imo (don't hate me people but I think Lewis would have suffered a similar fate pre-Steward).

Fergy likes this.
  8. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Tyson of 86/88 would batter Razor in to bits before the second ,I'm certain.

9. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    I think so, too. That goes for pre-Steward Lewis too.

Positive energy and Fergy like this.
  10. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don't think old Foreman could stop Razer how Lewis did, he wasn't quick enough imo. He could stop him but it would because Rudduck would go looking for him

Fergy and RulesMakeItInteresting like this.
  11. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    This is a valid idea. To me, speed or not, it comes down to the fact that Foreman hit harder and RR got hit pretty damn easy. Ruddock would be counted out, or not come out for the second round.

Fighters who were too easy to hit should never fight Foreman, they would be certain to lose early imo.

12. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    He'd walk in hands down and Foreman would go Bang .. Can Just imagine Razor s legs trying to keep him upright !

13. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    And Ruddock DID that! lol

He just came in with his big, Jethro Bodean self and looked to land his hookercut (at times exclusively).

That said, Jethro's hookercut was a WHOPPING good punch. Now that I think about it, RR's best punch was doomed from the beginning as far as landing goes against Lewis...when would the opportunity had come given Lewis' style? Mike was perfect to receive that punch, but as opponents got taller...

Fergy likes this.
  14. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Holyfield and Bowe would have taken longer, the former maybe 11 rounds, the latter five.

I actually see Ruddock vs. Bowe as Ruddock getting off at least one killer shot and rocking the hell out of Bowe within the first couple of rounds, but then being overwhelmed and knocked dead out with the overhand.

Bowe's overhands were one of his style's Achilles' heels. His was nearly as powerful as Lewis' at his best, but he looped it WAY more and thus missed it too many times to count. Ruddock was big enough to where it would land and good night Donny!

15. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Lol something els I noticed about Razor, when he got knocked down he'd sometime s have a goofy grin on his face , like trying to say . Look I'm not hurt ,I'm laughing !