Razor Ruddock vs Ron Lyle

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I think he was somewhere on the spectrum between mule and tomato can, haha. Definitely not a can.

swagdelfadeel and mr. magoo like this.
  2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    BTW, whenever I see the term tomato can I think of an episode of the HBO series “Arli$$, The Art of the Superagent,” where Arliss is representing a boxer who has a huge megafight (and payday) vs. Oscar de la Hoya but has to get past his next opponent, a pastry from France, first … only he’s an emotional wreck because of a fight with his wife and Arliss has to find a way to postpone the bout lest he blow it.

The opponent from France is cleverly named Tomate de Cannes, which IIRC it was Jim Lampley who pronounces it just right enough for us insiders to get the joke but not obvious enough for others to blink.

Pugguy likes this.
  3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I watched one episode of that show and couldn’t get into it

Saintpat likes this.
  4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Ahhhhh completely different meaning here in Oz. If you are termed to be a weapon you are great at something etc. One describing peak Tyson might say " oh man he's an absolute weapon", for context.

It's actually used phallically over here as well believe it or not - "they reckon he's got a fair weapon on him".

You are now armed and dangerous with new knowledge Edd!!!!

Pugguy likes this.
  5. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    That urban dictionary definition states weapon = tool. Fair enough - but we just call a tool a tool= idiot etc. A tool can also be our appendage eg - “The only tool you know how to use is the one between your legs”.

We in fact have a mob out here that sells tradie equipment, hammers, drills etc, and they call themselves Total Tools - a play on words, at least as understood out here in the land of Oz.

What I need to know is - how is it that the dogs balls (bollocks) mean a good thing? Can our UK buddies please illuminate?

Otherwise and naturally, we have quite a few expressions and sayings that are in common (sometimes slightly modified) with our English counterparts.

One of my favourite exclusively Aussie sayings is - “I’m dryer than a dead dingo’s donger”.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  6. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Just another thought from my addled mind: -

There was, after all, the movie franchise Lethal Weapon - which fortunately wasn’t renamed Lethal Tool for Australian viewing audiences - though it would be a good name for a parody.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  7. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I think Ron stops Razor late in a good battle, 8th round TKO.

8. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Lyle of the Shavers fight vs Ruddock of the Smith fight would be one of the craziest battles in history. Really a coin toss.

9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Razor gets floored multiple times on his way to stopping an exhausted Lyle in 7.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  10. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    fancy Ruddock here

swagdelfadeel likes this.