Reasons for a Furys poor performance

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Quina74, Oct 9, 2021.

1. G Man

G Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Whatever the reasons, he won and never made pathetic excuses.

Col Mortimer likes this.
  2. OldSchoolBoxing

OldSchoolBoxing Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2021
    But he knocked him down twice today. It means he is able.

3. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Wilder did better than most anticipated.

Fury was not in the best of shape however had enough to get to Wilder, absorb bombs and go 11 rounds.

4. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Covid Ravaged Fury destroys Americas best HW in decades x 3

gmurphy likes this.
  5. gmurphy

gmurphy Land of the corrupt, home of the robbery! Full Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Best america can do lep, a useless dosser from the sticks.

lepinthehood likes this.
  6. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    He hadn't fought in 20 months

7. drenlou

drenlou Most people DKSAB! I got your Gordo @JOKER Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
  8. shadow111

shadow111 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I think what happened in the first round surprised Fury. You could tell Fury didn't expect Wilder to come out jabbing to the body like that. I think a few of those jabs to the body hurt Fury and Fury became a little confused at how to deal with that. But then I think that big shot that Fury landed on Wilder towards the end of the 1st round really made Wilder feel like he felt in the 2nd fight and from there it just became a slugfest. Calling it a poor performance from Fury is a big exaggeration. It was still a great performance by Fury. He had a more determined (but badly gassed) Wilder in front of him.

9. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    Clearly hasn't trained much in 20 months and not had a focused camp. But shows what a natural fighter and experienced boxer he is when you look at how he paced himself. Does what he needs to do.

Same with the 'long' count. He got up when he needed to - shorter count he still gets up on 9. He's like the annoying smart kid in class who just does the minimum and still passes the exam.

Feel like this could catch up with him eventually, but he'll be a lot better conditioned if he fights Usyk. Watching Usyk vids I can't see anything else other than him thinking he needs a lot of stamina. He'll dwarf Usyk regardless.

10. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    His preparation couldn't of been worse to be honest and that's the only reason people had hope Wilder could win much like fight 1. The idea Fury wasn't the same as the 2nd fight and if we're honest he wasn't.

Inactivity, Covid, family issues with the health of his new child, general lack of motivation/focus one would expect after dominating an opponent so easily in the last fight.

I also think his game plan was just more risky. He clearly early on wanted to be more physical, he'd land a right hand then clinch, he was simply walking Wilder down at times like when he fought Wallin rather than backing Wilder up with jab like in fight 2. It's why he walked into a right hand in rd 4, but it clearly paid off as in rd 5 Wilder looked visibly tired.

Quina74 likes this.
  11. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Someone spiked Fury’s hedgehog meal.

12. mrtony80

mrtony80 Likes thick chicks Full Member

Sep 2, 2009
    I’ll never understand the idea that a champ is supposed to look flawless in every single fight. Name any fighter in history, and there’s a fight in which they had to unexpectedly rise to the occasion. Joe Louis got dropped by Galento. Cooper dropped Ali. Even prime, pre Douglas Tyson had a few tough fights. FMJ had a few tough fights early on. Andre Ward. Roy Jones. Canelo. Pac. Every single one of them had an “off” night while they were champ, a fight in which they had to overcome adversity.

I applaud Tyson and his performance. Now fight Usyk.

Brighton bomber likes this.
  13. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    He's knocked him down a total of four times and never once put him away. Even when he knocked him down in the twelfth round of their first fight

14. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I think Joshua will wish that he had faced last nights Fury instead of Usyk, but probably Fury would have been a bit sharper for AJ.

Physically he must have been in good shape coming back from those KDs, but probably not as mentally sharp as in the last one. On the other hand, I think that Wilder was sharper mentally in this one. Last time I think he froze a bit when Fury took the fight to him and never adjusted. This time he was more ready for what to expect.

In short, the was definitely more room for improvement for Wilder than for Fury. For Fury it would always be difficult just to even equal his last performance, which might have been the best of his career.

Furt probably must improve on last nights performance if he faces the winner of Usyk-Joshua, but I think he will. The chance of becoming undisputed is more motivating than just doing a third time what you really already have done twice.

15. NEETzschean

NEETzschean Active Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Indeed, it was virtually 600 days all-told. Fury is a rhythm fighter who needs regular activity to stay sharp, yet he still took a revitalised Wilder's best, dominated the fight and KO'd him late. Fury was looking better and better as the fight went on, even after he'd hit the canvas twice. He'll be sharper next time round and even sharper after that.

N17 likes this.