Ref in the Haye fight

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Maxime, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Maxime

Maxime Sweet Science Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Just watched the fight. Where the hell did they find that incompetent idiot?

My God! :lol:

Can we please make sure that guy never steps foot into a ring again please?

The guy was standing like 10 feet away from the fighters yelling at them to break the clinches instead of moving his fat ass and breaking them himself like he is suppose to. Not to mention he didn't seem to be able to count to 10 either. He kept looking at the count keeper instead of the fighter that went down.

Great job there big guy. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

2. Jack Dempsey

Jack Dempsey Legend Full Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Yeah I noticed that too

3. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    No big deal really. I would have perferred if the fighters had broke clean but at least he let the action continue.A few rabbit punches never hurt no one. I just wished he`d given Mac a 10 count so Haye REALLY could have finished him off.

4. Smith

Smith Monzon-like Full Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Warren type ref, sure he used to tak care of the nuccles

5. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
    Yeh he was a strange choise for such a big fight.

6. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Sometimes it can be good if a ref doesn't get physically involved. When he screamed break they broke. It's good if it looks like the action is fluid.

I like your sig.

7. Decebal

Decebal Lucian Bute Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The ref was afraid Haye's haymaker would end up taking him out as he was coming in to break the clinch before landing on Macca's chin.

8. dwilson

dwilson Guest

Im pretty good on refs. We have a few who are capable of doing the big fights but this guy just did not look at the park last night. Still he did not have much to do and I would not have liked to be any closer when those two were letting the shots go.

9. Decebal

Decebal Lucian Bute Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I think the ref did well...counted Macca...Macca said he was OK but was clearly not...ref ended the fight before Haye had a chance to damage Macca's brains even further with the first hayemaker.

10. UK2004

UK2004 Active Member Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Mentioned this last night immediately afte the fight he was scared to get in the middle. Ian John Lewis or Dave Parias would have been better if must be english. When Macca took that shot in the corner he should of seaprated and given standing count no doubt but he wa shitting himself about pulling Haye off, Haye has always been one for hitting downed fighters watched hmt hroughout career.

11. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    O please. The rules are simple. If your sagging on the ropes his not a downed fighter. The punches were legal.If Macs glove had touched the canvass then the ref would have jumped in. Like Mac said if he wasnt so discombobulated he would have taken a knee but he didnt. Haye did the right thing and finished him off.

12. Grievesy

Grievesy Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Can you blame him for not getting too close. He might have copped a hayemaker in the face.

13. Sundance

Sundance Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    What is rules regards standing counts? I've seen fighters given standing counts in the past and come back to win fights. Not saying it would have happened last night, but Macca needed to take a count.

14. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    Standing counts occur when a fighter is wobbly on his feet but hasnt gone down and the ref decides to jump in to administer a 10 count. Macca would have got one but he was completely out on his feet. If he hadnt stumbled so badly and lurched uncontrollably Haye would have beat even more of his brain cells to death.The stoppage was good. Mac didnt need to be hurt no more.

15. LiamE

LiamE Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Ian John Lewis reffed the fight before.

The ref should have been in earlier to give Mac a count... only the ropes held him up. It would have made bugger all difference though, Mac obviously couldn't handle Hayes power.