Regis Prograis demolition of Indongo

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by goku23, Mar 12, 2018.

1. goku23

goku23 Member Full Member

May 28, 2014
    Did anyone catch Regis Prograis stopping Indongo inside two?
    Did it quicker and more viciously than Crawford, Indongo who can be awkward and took Crawford longer to get the better off, was running scared of Prograis.

Add to that what he did to Joel Diaz Jr and Aaron Herrera, he looks a beast at 140 extremely heavy handed and quick.

Be interesting to see how he does in an open division and if he lands a big fight this year, I think he's trouble for anyone

pacas and Rock0052 like this.
  2. Amazing one

Amazing one Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2013

He's good is Prograis. I want to see him tested though, and if he gets the chance to fight Ramirez/Imam winner he will be. He is a problem at 140, some great fights to be made.

The biggest problem is, the three wins identified are all quick finishes so no idea if he can pace himself or really adjust over a 12 round fight. I was impressed with how he boxed against Abel Ramos, took rounds on a quick jab and angles. He looked a lot better in winning that than Baranchyk looked beating Ramos but Ramos isn't a top 20-30 guy at 140, I want to see how he handles a young hungry fighter just like himself. But even in the Ramos fight, he got the cuts stoppage and the fight was getting more competitive, so a long 12 round fight against a top 10 140 will tell us more.

But he's clearly in the mix. And if he beats Ramirez/Imam winner he IMO is number 1 at 140 until beaten as Garcia will probably go back down, nobody else's resume really sticks out.

goku23 likes this.
  3. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Yeah, I agree with this.

I thought Indongo would pose a few problems early on but he closed the distance down very well. Indongo perhaps isn't overly talented on the backfoot but you'd expect him to make better use of that ridiculous frame of his. Prograis' power certainly seems to tick the boxes too. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him

4. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Impressed with Prograis for a while now, but also think Indongo is kind of a one trick pony.

5. Amazing one

Jan 14, 2013
    His power is real, he has some speed especially on the jab. He has some talent but we've seen it all before with talent knocking guys out then tested over a longer fight with someone who punches back, and pushes them back and the crumble. I see a lot of weight on the fact he competed with Spence in the amateurs, that's the amateurs and Spence turned over after 2012 Olympics so that was a long time ago. Spence has developed since then.

Prograis is short with shortish arms, let's see a better jab from a fighter with balance who can counter and see how Prograis deal with it. He's obviously up there and rightly so, but if we're all honest in our assessment of Indongo in his last two fights, I would expect most top 140's to beat him like that. He crumbled under shots that DID NOT land clean. I think the final knockdown was legit but others in slow mo weren't, rocked with a jab that DID NOT land flush.

But Prograis is chasing the big fights so I give him credit. He's mentioned Garcia/Crawford/Broner (ha) multiple times so I believe that he believes he is the best and he might be but I'm not a sheep, I want to see him have a competitive fight before I label him a 'beast' in the division.

6. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    Yeah, it's a little easy to get excited too soon. That being said, the prospect of him against Josh Taylor is really something.

Amazing one likes this.
  7. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    I think this fight tells up more about indongo then prograis and thats that indongo is completely heartless when anything is coming back at him

8. rayrobinson

rayrobinson Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Indongo had his bubble burst vs Crawford. Now he is just a punching bag.

It didn't look like he did any sparring for this fight at all.

9. Swollen Liver

Swollen Liver Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 3, 2010
    It proves one thing: some people are a bit too quick to give Crawford the #1 spot p4p.

pacas likes this.
  10. Amazing one

Jan 14, 2013

Yeah it is to be fair but I actually think Ramirez would beat Prograis. But Who would you pick and why out of Taylor-Prograis? And have you seen much of Ramirez/Imam?

11. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    Oh god, so hard to say. I'll go with Taylor for now. He can fight on the inside real well and as good as Prograis' body work is, I think Taylor's manoeuvring on the inside would negate that. I think he might prove to be a little too hard to hit cleanly for Prograis but it's hard to have any real confidence in that prediction at this stage.

Not an awful lot Ramirez smoked Reed who I thought might be decent at one point but we saw him lose again at the weekend. Imam has a good win over Granados and from the clips I've seen he looks heavy handed. I'm sure it was Paulie M who said Imam was the hardest puncher he'd sparred, although I could be totally making that up. I'll cautiously roll with Imam for now as I've seen a bit more of him but I certainly need to educate myself a little more on those guys.

Bridie mcmahon and Amazing one like this.
  12. J Jones

J Jones Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Correction, Imam took a brutal beating from Granados. Imam sounds delusional too. Ramirez will beat him easily...book it.

This content is protected

Amazing one likes this.
  13. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    Oh goodness, you're right. I actually remember watching parts of that fight too. Granados is decent to be fair. He shouldn't have as many L's as his record shows but it probably doesn't help when people like me assign his wins as losses...

J Jones likes this.
  14. FastSmith7

FastSmith7 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2017
    To think this joke is Crawfords biggest win

15. Amazing one

Jan 14, 2013
    I agree on all of that. Taylor's inside game is very good but not just body work, defence, rolling, slipping, countering, positional etc where Prograis has power/body work but squares up & can smother himself a bit too. But it's a great fight.

Imam lost to Granados by TKO but also floored Granados heavy in round 1. He also beat Yordenis Ugas so Imam has some talent, Jose Ramirez has a nice left hook, reasonable speed & decent jab from what I've seen but is defensively lapse at times.

I pick Ramirez though.