Remember ESPN Superbouts?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Wvboxer, Jan 2, 2015.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I'm trying to remember an ESPN boxing show intro that started out with the bell ringing rhythmically, which segued into a drum beating and the images are of Carmen Basilio tapping his gloves together as he answers the bell, Bob foster shadow-boxing and old photos of Fitz and Jack Johnson. I think it was a Bernstein show but I can't find it on youtube. I loved that sequence. Anybody remember?

2. Wvboxer

Wvboxer Active Member Full Member

Apr 20, 2013
    That sounds the old ESPN Top Rank Boxing intro. Seemed like it had a clock ticking in the background. There was a shot of young Foreman at the end. I have it on tape somewhere I'm sure.

3. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I appreciated ESPN when they just stuck to the fights...calling the action...what I hated about ESPN were those documentaries where they would interject their political bias.

4. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    ...And they are still doing it

Watch any 30 for 30 espn movie. They are well done but usually have a political slant.

5. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    That bleedin' heart bull**** agenda....and then they drag out Jack Newfield....:patsch

6. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher Lineal Champion Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I film my tv later and upload it to my YouTube channel and drop a link for all to enjoy!!

7. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Let me know when you do. WVboxer brought this to my attention and he said he could hear it at the end of the Harold Brazier-Mickey Ward film on youtube. I checked it out and yes, that was the intro I was referring to. Bonecrusher, if you have the visuals as well as the audio to upload, I would love to see it again. It was a fast-paced kick-**** type of intro that got you revved up for action. Thanks again, guys. This one was nagging at me.

8. Bonecrusher

Jul 19, 2004
    I'll take care of it tonight man. I'm out in town with the wife and kids but once I settle back in at my house tonight I'll do it and then let you know on here when it's up ...

9. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I always thought Ferdie Pacheco was just an awful boxing commentator. I hated listening to him. When team with Bobby Cheese they were unbearable.

10. Bonecrusher

Jul 19, 2004
  11. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Thanks Crusher.....makes you want to go open a beer .....and get "ready for the fights".

12. Wvboxer

Wvboxer Active Member Full Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Wow!! Great memories! I remember watching that, USA Tuesday Night fights, regular action on the networks, & then big fights on HBO. That was a fun time. Loved that intro. I remembered that as they run through the fighters at the beginning they ended with Tyson vs Ali. Naturally! Originally, Tyson wasn't at the end of the intro but rather Foreman after beating Norton. That intro always got me hyped for the action. I couldn't even describe a boxing intro today. I was dying to see those old fights back then! I'd only seen maybe three old fights at that point.

I noticed this was the intro for a Bruce Seldon fight. They used to show him, Morrison, Mercer, & Bowe at the beginning of their careers. I loved Seldon. I really thought he was going to be something special. I remember he fought Jesse Ferguson, Oliver Mccall, & someone else on ESPN. Thanks for bringing back some memories!!

13. Bonecrusher

Jul 19, 2004
    Absolutely man

14. Bonecrusher

Jul 19, 2004
    Oh totally! I have literally thousands of VHS tapes with boxing on them, I badly need to tranfer some over. They are safe though and being stored properly in my home... 95% of my collection was recorded by me on SP the highest quality VHS would allow which is laughable still compared to the beauty of HD today,,

Yeah between USA Tuesday Night Fights and Top Rank Boxings weekly boxing shows we got so much content it was glorious!! Always being a bigger fan of the heavyweight division vs any other USA was my favorite it was the home of young heavy weights and come backing old ones..

Yeah the opening in this video was before the Seldon vs McCall fight which actually was the same week as Holyfield vs Foreman

15. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    That's it!!!!!! Bonecrusher, you are the man! Actually felt that tingling going up the spine listening to that bop-bop-bop with those classic pics and film. Special thanks to VWboxer for resurrecting this question. Do you know it was a year and a half since I asked the question? I still would be wracking my head for the answer. Thanks, guys.