Respect to AJ

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Hattonmad, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    And Hearn I suppose. Made no excuses thus far. Didn't blame the change of opponent, didn't blame the ref, didn't make up an injury or illness. None of that would wash of course but we hear it all too often. They seem to be taking the result on the chin.

Also, stop worrying about AJ smiling post fight. He done the right thing, kept positive, talked well and didn't give anyone added satisfaction.

One thing is for sure, he'll give his return 110%. With the ridiculous hype bubble burst, I may be able to appreciate AJ a bit more. I just couldn't take to him with the crazy hype surrounding him and the forced humble persona. Things will hopefully change after last night. He's been humbled for real.

Camaris, kandamrgam, Holler and 7 others like this.
  2. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Tbf Joshua has conducted himself well since the defeat.

Taking an immediate rematch would be reckless though, unnecessary pressure. If he loses where would he go from there?

Aydamn and Inglis_1 like this.
  3. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I agree. Few Tom Schwartz' would be the way to go. Tighten up the defence, try improve stamina and build confidence. Problem is AJ is the cash cow and Schwartz' don't bring in the big bucks

4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    He's been classy in defeat.

I kind of expect that the excuses will come out in time though.
    Tony Bellew is probably at home right now writing a whole load of them to pitch to Eddie Hearn and Adam Smith .

Sonny1, BXNG101, kandamrgam and 2 others like this.
  5. Snowy1989

Snowy1989 Active Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Joshua and Hearn have handled the defeat with class. No excuses.

Additionally, Respect to Tyson Fury for the tweet he put out.

Camaris, Hattonmad and sjp17 like this.
  6. Emerald Oracle

Emerald Oracle Active Member Full Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Fair play to the guy, came across well in defeat.I nothing against him, just the cretins who fall for and drool over the hype spouted from the media.

Camaris and DON1 like this.
  7. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    He’s got to take the rematch or Harmon and co will have ALL the belts under wraps for years. It’s all or nothing.

Back to AJ and the way he’s been conducting himself, he has been brilliant but has anyone else noticed a few little bits of road man seeping through? This could be the heal change.

8. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Of course he should take rematch next up.

9. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    Ok he takes rematch next and loses. What next? The rematch is a legit 60:40 shootout in Ruiz’s favour because Ruiz proved he can take Joshua’s shots better than Joshua can take his. It’s an incredibly risky fight. Another defeat and his career could go the same way as David Price’s.

Suspect.chin, 305th and Twentyman like this.
  10. Work the body

Work the body Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    I have to say I’ve been very impressed with how Joshua has dealt with this. He’s certainly gone up in my estimation.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  11. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Thing is though, it's easy to control 1 corrupt organization and fix ratings/mandatory.
    If Wilder beat Ruiz he'd have immediate mandatory lined up and Haymon can't fix 4 different rankings for him.

12. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    If I was hired unqualified by beating an American dumbass in the interview, then winged a job whilst earning loads and taking non stop plaudits for years I’d behave with similar grace when I was found out and demoted.

Camaris likes this.
  13. Peterp

Peterp Well-Known Member Full Member

May 1, 2006
    It's quite sad when a professional athlete acts like they are supposed to, they get mad respect.

It's like saying "oh he's a great person" because he visited a preschool and didn't touch up any of the kids !

Given how much they are getting paid, it is a base expectation that a professional athlete acts professionally after a loss

Not much to ask

AgentDRL and 305th like this.
  14. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Yeah I think it would be crazy to do so. He'll get another opportunity but he needs to rebuild starting by working on his stamina problems as he is carrying too much muscle. One of the other concerning things is his reaction to getting clipped. It was David Price level of concerning against Ruiz.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  15. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    Exactly. He needs to shave off 15lbs of mass at least. Then he needs one or two tune up fights to get used to having less power and less strength in the clinch again.

I don’t see why people are so adverse to tune ups and interim bouts. It’s largely casuals who are against that. Fury is so smart. Imagine how much sharper and even better conditioned he will be when he goes back in against Wilder.