Respect to both Bivol and Canelo

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Olu G. Rotimi, May 7, 2023.

1. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Have to respect both Bivol and Canelo each wanting to have the rematch at the other guys preferred weight:

This content is protected

Levook likes this.
  2. chacal

chacal F*** the new normal Full Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Canleo fighting bivol again (no matter the weight) is a stupid move.

3. Ricdog

Ricdog Active Member Full Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Hmm, risk benefit analysis.

At 175lb: for Canelo he avenges his loss perfectly if he wins…plus gains another legit belt (not a fake Jr one like Davis). Bivol won’t gain anything legacy wise he doesn’t already have, but gets another big payday

At 168lb: Canelo doesn’t get a belt if he wins, he loses all of his belts if he loses, and even if he does win…he’ll get no credit since the excuse will be Bivol was drained since he’s never fought at that weight. For Bivol, he gets both a massive payday and becomes undisputed at 168lb…putting huge pressure on Benavidez while he’s had it.

Bottom line, there is a reason why Canelo wants it at 175lb and Bivol at 168lb

Last edited: May 7, 2023
  4. iceferg

iceferg Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    I think Canelo wants it at 175lbs so if he loses he still has the contingency plan at 168lbs and Bivol wants it at 168lbs because it opens the door to a lot of big money fights and keeps him away from Beterbiev.

I think Canelo has looked a bit flat after moving back to 168lbs the second time. It's like he hasn't regained the speed and stamina he lost when he moved up to 175lbs.

Canelo should take it at 168lbs, Bivol has called for it at that weight and I genuinely think Bivol will get a shock when he's cutting to 168lbs how much it will take out of him. The last 3 or 4 lbs will probably ruin him.

tinman and HellSpawn86 like this.
  5. Glassbrain

Glassbrain Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2016
    He should avoid the fight, he can't beat Bivol

catchwtboxing likes this.
  6. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    He wont become full UNdisputed because of that idiot Suliaman, But at least Bivol can become a 2 division world champion if they fight at 168. If i was Canelo though id pass on Bivol and fight Benevidez instead which would be a blockbuster event on Mexican Independance Day.

7. mirexxa

mirexxa Heavyweight Champ Full Member

Jan 21, 2022
    Bivol will be drained at 168 so canelo will have more of a chance. On the other hand he might lose all of his belts so it's an interesting scenario

wassupjg and HellSpawn86 like this.
  8. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Respect to Bivol? Nah. He needs to stop ducking Beterbiev. He's content to fight a guy he already dominated.

9. chacal

Jun 21, 2015
    Someone had to say it. :deal:

We cant ignore that fact forever.

UniversalPart likes this.
  10. AngryBirds

AngryBirds Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    This is indeed interesting. Fighting one another at their own respect weight classes holds no benefit, but fighting in the others weight class holds massive benefits. If Bivol goes down to 168, he doesnt have to fight Beterbiev. Likewise if Canelo goes up to 175 he doesn’t have to fight Benavidez. Oh decisions, decisions.

What I want to see: An improved Canelo going all-out at 175, not holding anything back. Win or lose he can finally say he went Bivol prepared.

What will probably happen: No fight whatsoever due to disagreements over what weight it should be done at.

I think Bivol should take it at 175 since at the minimum he can negotiate to say, hey if you want the fight again at 175 to where I won’t be gaining anything new legacy wise, then give me a much bigger payday and we got a deal.

Hanz Cholo likes this.
  11. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Too proud to be intelligent is the ginger.

chacal likes this.
  12. chacal

Jun 21, 2015
    Yep. I agree.

I think it goes in the pack. I guess you cant get what canelo has got if you dont have this kind of pride.

But nevertheless I think it is a mistake.

Hanz Cholo likes this.
  13. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Surely Sulaiman can block Bivol fighting Canelo at 168lbs if the WBC is on the line there too......?

Bivol is stuck. He doesn't have the leverage he thinks he does.

Dangerwood84 and Rumsfeld like this.
  14. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    There's no respect to be had. Bivol wants the belts at 168 and Canelo doesn't want to lose them. Simple.

C.J. likes this.
  15. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Canelo needs to stay away from bivol who's a horrible styles match up for him regardless of weight. He should try to fight Benavidez a much more winnable fight and a much bigger payday.