Rethinking GGG's Legacy ..

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by he grant, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    There wasn't much talent for a while at middleweight. He knocked out a bunch of second rate fighters. Middleweight was barren. I did think he beat Canelo in the first fight. But Canelo was a fighter moving up in weight. He also squeaked by Derevyanchenko and Jacobs. All in all, a dominant champ but his resume wasn't impressive. He took no chances at all. Didn't fight Ward. That's all on him cause he should have moved up. Just like Ward moved up to fight Kovalev.

2. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    When "someone like you" spends the time to write such a contrived, pointless, gibberish response it's proof I'm correct .

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    So then you must not rate Hagler or Monzon as well since they didn't move either .. you're also leaving out the fact that the fights you mentioned came in his mid thirties but why flesh out debate w facts ?

oldcanvasback and BCS8 like this.
  4. djfonti

djfonti Active Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2005
    He beat the juice head and was a better fighter.

lordlosh and BCS8 like this.
  5. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    I think the current Canelo arrived with the 2nd GGG fight. Its that Canelo that has been destroying the competition. If Golovkin can still fight like he did in the 2nd fight after moving up, then i think he has a chance against this current version of Canelo. I do believe he was ill vs Derevyanchenko. I just don't know how Golovkin is at the elite level training under Banks, how dialed in he is. Under Abel Sanchez, we always knew what to expect.

oldcanvasback, BCS8 and timeout like this.
  6. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    He didn't fail, the system failed him.

lordlosh, BCS8 and renyo like this.
  7. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    That's a matter of opinion.

DarkHorse901 likes this.
  8. ElCyclon

ElCyclon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 2, 2012
    No he did kind of fail himself. He had an opportunity to put Canelo away in the second fight, as he and his trainer promised if Canelo "would not run", Canelo stayed in front of GGG for 12 rounds and kept pushing the action while GGG was unable or unwilling to mount a sustained attack. The optics of GGG backtracking throughout most of the fight were not good.

9. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    You mean someone who accepts the truth (unlike someone like you).

It took no time at all.

The truth is easy to write about.

What exactly do you think you are correct about?

Fact - Golovkin did not beat Canelo
    Fact - Canelo did beat Golovkin.

What makes you think Middleweight is Canelo's best weight? It is a fair question which, rather than answering, you react with childish nonsense.

Even if you disagree with the scoring of the Golovkin/Alvarez fights, referring to Golovkin as having been "robbed", in such closely contested bouts, is just immaturity on your part and quite laughable.

You clearly cannot accept the facts and it is making you look a tad like a demented old fool, which I am fast beginning to believe is actually the case.

DarkHorse901 likes this.
  10. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    Ward moved up when it was convenient for Ward, he didnt move up while he was campaigning at 168lbs. I do think that even at this age that Golovkin can enhance his legacy if he really wants to, but he would have to take some chances. If he can defeat Murata, then take on Andrade and Charlo and come out on top he would be the Undisputed Champ. At that point he could retire or take on Canelo at 168lbs. In a battle of undisputeds. Thats really asking alot though of GGG at this age.

oldcanvasback and BCS8 like this.
  11. sdot_thadon

sdot_thadon Active Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I completely agree that it's time to rethink Golovkin's legacy, just not in the way you're hoping. Lets be honest with ourselves here, He should be remembered for the way he sat around waiting on a Canelo payday rather than charting his own star and pulling in the big bucks on his own. Every since Canelo was seen as a potential opponent he's done absolutely nothing, before and since....aside from a fight he may have lost against Derevyanchenko. Ward looked to fight him in the past, we know how that went. 2 champions in his same division want to fight him now and all I've ever seen were reports that he wasn't interested in either whatsoever. With that said, his supporters who felt he was so superior to Canelo prior to his 1st fight that he'd annihilate Saul with the wind behind a whiff.......expected Saul to take the fight his first time actually at 160 or he was a coward. Is GGG not a coward for avoiding Charlo and Andrade who are both belt holders and came up from a lower weightclass? In the time GGG sat around hoping for a 3rd Canelo fight he could have snatched up 2 belts and been unifying or already unified and that, would have either upped his purse status or made the 3rd fight a thing people actually wanted to see. But nah, let's sit around fighting bums saying nobody will fight me because I can't get the Cash cow in the ring again, think I should be heralded as an all time great?

Statman and DarkHorse901 like this.
  12. kriszhao

kriszhao Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 8, 2008
    And Canelo is a PED cheat not a matter of opinion.

lordlosh and BCS8 like this.
  13. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    What does this^ have to do with the opinion that the "system failed [Golovkin]"?

DarkHorse901 likes this.
  14. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Sure he fought them later in his career, but he wasn't exactly war torn. I picked them because they were some of his better opponents.

But it's not about moving just to move. It's about moving because the division is barren, and frankly, middleweight was bad when GGG reigned. He could have taken on a name above middleweight. I'm pretty sure SMW was hot at some point in GGG's career.

I have made similar criticism of Hagler, his career is built on names that moved up to fight him and on his dominance. Although Hagler did beat Hearns who moved up easily in weight due to his frame.

I never claimed to not "rate" GGG (or Hagler). But I think he was getting overrated a lot at one point, specially before his fights with better opponents later in his career.

15. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    The problem with G was he never challenged himself he only wanted big fights at the end willing to fight smaller may smaller cotton even if you disagree smaller canelo but never willing to move up

DarkHorse901 and chacal like this.