Return of Wilk!! (Piotr Wilczewski)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Oct 3, 2018.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    This coming Saturday in his native Dzierżoniów - two months after his fortieth birthday - the former European super middleweight champion makes his first ring appearance in over six years. His eight-round match is the main event of a small hall show that unfortunately will not be televised, as most households domestically will be tuned into Diablo Włodarczyk vs. Al Sands taking place simultaneously in a separate venue elsewhere in Poland.

Wilk used to be a very good fighter, who fought hard three minutes of every round despite lacking a spiteful KO punch (although, ironically, his greatest victory was a dramatic late knockout against the chinny Finn glass cannon Amin Asikainen); he was sort of a "tweener" in that on any given night he could be run close by a squarely Euro-level guy like Geard Ajetovic (whom the Pole defeated by SD) or give world class operators hell and even deserve the nod against them. Such was the case in his two biggest steps up in class, a pair of (IMO) robbery decision losses to James DeGale and Arthur Abraham. Don't let the scores in the latter fool you; it was extremely close and on my card Wilk edged it 114-113. Interestingly, the former outcome was almost unanimously derided with most agreeing Chunky was extremely fortunate to escape without a blemish of some kind (a loss or at least a draw) - although I personally had DeGale just squeaking by at 115-113. Wilk's only legitimate defeat was an early TKO at the hands of prime "Showtime" Curtis Stevens, back in his fearsome "Chin-Checker" days when Andre Dirrell (in)famously and shamelessly ran from him all night.

Now, with six years of rust and on the wrong side of 40, it puzzles me that someone who got by on sheer grit & engine would think he could mount a successful campaign. I mean, he'll almost certainly mop the floor with this sub-.500 Georgian if he's even 50% of his old self - but after that, what's his endgame? I would have loved for him to not disappear off the scene in 2012 (anybody know why?) - as he still probably had something to offer and could have tested some of the division's then up-and-comers like Groves, Jack, Chudinov, Oosthuizen, etc as probably a live underdog giving up 116-112 range decisions...or even snatched a few zeroes from the likes of Tyrone Zeuge. Now, though? I'm not sure what the point is. At some point if he doesn't stick with hapless Georgians, somebody undeserving is going to get to lay claim to being the next person to stop him after Stevens. :nusenuse:

Here's the Abraham vs. Wilczewski RBR & video:
    https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/abraham-wilczewski-rbr.391418/
    This content is protected

Here's the DeGale vs. Wilczewski RBR & video:
    https://www.boxingforum24.com/threa...-james-degale-vs-piotr-wilczewski-rbr.350570/

2. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    He hurt DeGale pretty badly in the 5th round.

Timestamped

Odins beard and Sphillips like this.
  3. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Indeed. He wasn't a full on feather-fist; he could get and keep guys' respect and could sting you if he caught you right...he just wasn't a KO artist.

I'd compare him with say Eduard Gutknecht in that respect. And honestly in ballpark of quality. That would've been a great h2h fight, and reasonably enough could have taken place.

4. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Still about 50-50 that he can stop Giorgi Kandelaki.

On the one hand, Georgia is the Brazil of Europe. On the other, compared to his countrymen Giorgi has a damn near ATG chin, by which I mean only half a dozen of his 31 losses are by KO. :sisi1

Somachenko likes this.
  5. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
  6. Sphillips

Sphillips Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Yeah the Degale win was very important indeed for him as he was coming in off the Groves loss and found himself in a very tough battle with a rugged,fit guy.

But that wasn’t at world level,it was for the EBU and Degale was still operating at domestic level.

7. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yeah he definitely caught DeGale right with that shot.

Would've been a good and evenly matched fight between them for sure IMO.

8. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Him vs DeGale was an underrated fight, I felt he just about edged it.

9. Sergey Shubenkov

Sergey Shubenkov Remember banned Full Member

Sep 5, 2018
    I remember I had him winning the Degale fight by 2 points. He was the stronger man. Degale has had a lot of gifts in his career.

10. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Still no card results on BoxRec but here's the video: