Revisiting & Revising Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Mar 22, 2019.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Do you ever re-watch old fights and find you have a different opinion second time around?
    I just watched the Norton v Quarry fight,I probably haven't seen it for 15/20 years.I held the opinion that it was a one sided blow out from the get go ,but viewing it again Quarry had his moments early on.
    Granted he wasn't in the best of shape, looking fleshy around the middle at 207lbs,but he laid the wood to Kenny at times in the first couple of rounds.
    After getting cut he went for broke trying to get the stoppage and probably shot his bolt ,his punches lacked steam after that and Norton didn't seem to be able to miss him.What do you think,and which other fights have you altered your opinion on after subsequent re-watching ?
    This content is protected

2. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I recently watched Barrera vs McKinney and my memory of the fight was miles off base.

mcvey likes this.
  3. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I'm sure it's happened a couple of times to all of us. I know it has for me, in any case.

One example was the Eddie Mustafa Muhammad against Victor Galindez. On my first viewing I remember thinking that Eddie had definitely won it, and been unlucky with the verdict. I felt that, while it wasn't anything like a shutout, it was clear enough to put it in the bad decision category.

To my surprise, when I watched it again two or three years later I found myself thinking Galindez had just about pulled it out and that the judges had got it right, again by a reasonable-ish margin.

mcvey likes this.
  4. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    I didn't know how much I forgot things or more accurately missed things in fights until I started participating in Kev's FOTW threads … I was surprised that if you rewatch a fight and score it, man things really do change. Boxing is so damn fluid and dynamic..

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  5. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    The first that comes to mind is Tyson-Stewart. The first couple times I saw it I was pretty certain it was a dive to ensure that Tyson looked invincible again on the comeback trail after Douglas, or just a quit job like Ali-Liston II or Marciano-Walcott II. When I watched the fight again a few months ago it looked much more like Stewart was legitimately KO'd.
    (I remain certain that Seldon said **** it I'm leaving early for some steak and shrimp.)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    mcvey and young griffo like this.
  6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I always thought that Larry was beating Tex unmercifully. Upon a further review I see that Tex just ran out of time.

7. TBI

TBI Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    This man has true wisdom.

Never disappoints.

mcvey likes this.
  8. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Droll. Yeah, given maybe 85 more rounds of Cobb's face beating on Holmes' fists, when Cobb's face would be harder since no flesh would be left, Larry could have gassed.

George Crowcroft, Fergy and mcvey like this.
  9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Just watched Pacquiao-Marquez 2, and I thought originaly that Pac had won that, and quite steadily. But going back to watch it, it was at least a draw imo. Marquez was counter punching brilliantly out boxing Pacquiao, not something you see everyday

10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Tex was sure Larry's hands were on the verge of a tko!

Fergy likes this.