Rewatched Trinidad vs Joppy . I forgot how many jabs Joppy was able to land.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Rafaman, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Rafaman

Rafaman Active Member Full Member

Jun 26, 2015
    One of Tito's best performances. The ending and the knockdowns were so eye catching its all I really remembered.

Joppy actually touched Tito quite regularly with his jab in that fight. None of them hurt Tito but the punch was there for an opponent. In round 2 Joppy threw 50 jabs alone. There were small stretches in that fight where Joppy outworked Tito, in the third round he threw 112 punches.

2. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I still have no idea what Joppy was thinking in that fight. Maybe it was the pressure, maybe it was not getting any help from the clowns in his corner (who as you'll know couldn't even find a stool for him to sit on between rounds), or maybe he was just a bit of a masochist...But for whatever reason, he fought one of the most astonishingly stupid fights I've ever seen.

He certainly had plenty of success when he was throwing that jab, but as soon as he looked like he was hitting the groove he'd do something like drop his hands to his side or walk straight at Trinidad with zero head movement and without letting any shots go. Against probably the best left hooker in the sport at the time, he was just asking for trouble. All of the knockdowns in that fight were put on a plate for Tito - I bet he couldn't believe his luck. Essentially had a guy in front of him just begging to be clocked.

But yep, both guys looked as if they'd never heard of defence or slipping / parrying a jab that night.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  3. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I think Tito had him after that first knockdown and was very comfortable with what Joppy was throwing back.

4. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I agree w/ 88/Chris. It was a winnable fight for Joppy. But he fought so stupid. And when do the dummies win big fights against elite opponents?

5. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Joppy was one of those guys that didn't have much of an amatuer background but was a really good athlete. He had excellent hand speed and I think he thought he would be able to bully Tito since he was fighting at 160 for the first time. Huge mistake.

6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    He didn't seem to be able to avoid them did he.

7. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Joppy gave the guy a silver platter. And he seemed to have the mindset that a former welter cannot possibly hurt him. After he got knocked down, he looked like Berbick against Tyson. That's how it goes sometimes. And this is where a top notch corner and manager comes into play.

Then again, Joppy sure did some job on the old Duran. But he fought Felix like he was Duran as well.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Winky Wright jabbed Tito silly.

Gatekeeper and AwardedSteak863 like this.
  9. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    He sure did. Winky was a stylistic nightmare for Tito. That jab and high guard, Tito was doomed and Winky punched his ticket to the hall of fame.

ETM, mcvey and Gatekeeper like this.
  10. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I always wondered why Trinidad's team choose Winky Wright for his 2nd fight back. Not a good style but also not a payday they couldnt turn down.
    There was DelaHoya and Mosley. They would have made more sense

Smokin Bert and mcvey like this.
  11. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Hindsight is 20/20. But, at the time, I doubt Trinidad (or most boxing experts) considered Winky much of a threat. Wright wasn't a big puncher, and had just squeaked past the much smaller Shane Mosley in their rematch. But, to Wright's credit, he showed up in excellent shape, and boxed Trinidad's ears off. It was an uninspired performance by Trinidad to say the least. He was so bad that he immediately retired from the ring following the loss to Wright. (Only to be drawn out of retirement for a big money loss to Roy Jones in a farcical fight 3 years later). Much like Bernard Hopkins, Wright was not that spectacular at his peak. However, he was extraordinarily consistent. There wasn't much to separate the best version of Winky Wright from the worst. On the other hand, once the wheels fell off of Trinidad in the Hopkins fight, he declined rapidly.