Ricardo Lopez vs Mark Johnson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Cobra33, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Lets say Lopez met Johnson at Flyweight.Who wins and why?

2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Lopez wins. Lopez was not only a master technician in the ring; his power was almost unfair at fly weight. Lopez has some amazing knockouts.

3. Eye of Timaeus

Eye of Timaeus Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Johnson was a very good fighter but Lopez was a level above.

4. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Actually a big fan of both and feel both are underrated to a degree but that small minority that overrated Lopez. I go with Johnson. He was actually great fighting inside and give his speed and skill could cope at distance. Johnson made some fights tougher by fighting toe to toe but in this match he’d be at an advantage inside since one of Lopez’s few weaker points was inside.

Close fight but I give the edge to Too Sharp.

5. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Too Sharp would have kicked Lopez's ass at 112. No doubt in my mind.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  6. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Funny enough I think Rafael Marquez and Jhonny Gonzalez fought in a similar style to Ricardo Lopez. Johnson was past his peak when he fought both of them.

At his best though I think Johnson would have posed a very difficult style for Lopez due to the speed, jab, power, combinations, athleticism, and all around abilities. I could see Johnson outworking Lopez to a convincing decision win.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  7. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I wish Lopez had risked a little more. There was a golden opportunity at light flyweight to face Carbajal or Gonzalez in 1994/95 and he never seemed interested. A step up to fly and a fight with Johnson would have really tested him and I'd be fascinated to see how he did. My guess is that Johnson being very good in his own right and a natural flyweight would see him home via tough decision.

Xplosive and roughdiamond like this.
  8. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    He was never gonna fight Chiquita. Nacho managed both. Funnily enough they had to train at different times. They still can’t stand each other to this day.

9. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    More's the pity if there was some genuine needle there.

George Crowcroft likes this.