Ricardo Lopez vs Yuri Arbachakov

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    At Flyweight. Would Lopez still be effective at that weight? I would have loved to see how he would have done against another well rounded technical boxer-puncher like Arbachakov. What do you think?

haNZAgod likes this.
  2. LittleRed

LittleRed Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Arbachakov too big, too well schooled. Lopez was made for 105. I probably wouldn't take Eder Jofre to beat Salvador Sanchez.

robert ungurean and Reinhardt like this.
  3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    This is a thread I am jealous I didn't make.

I'll sleep on a result, tho.

4. Flo_Raiden

Oct 12, 2010
    I'm guessing this kind of match up is similar to Salvador Sanchez vs. Roberto Duran.
    I've always wanted to know how Lopez dealt with a fighter similar to him, especially a guy as technically skilled and disciplined as Arbachakov.

5. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Picking the winner of this fight is the same as picking the best jab IMO.

6. lora

lora Fighting Zapata Full Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Arbachakov doesn't really have a notable size advantage, it's not like a lightweight vs a feather or a bantam vs a feather at all.Lopez was a freak at making weight, but obviously had a 112 comfortable frame and would have been a solid built Fly had he been around before the junior divisions, even if he's fighting at around 110 or so.

One thing to note between the two of them is Arbachakov was much more reluctant to let varied punches go, usually staying in his measuring jab\right hand comfort zone for large stretches of fights.He threw all the punches really well and had a sublime left hook, but they were only rarely utilised.

Might lend an element of predictability to his offensive work against another top-notch boxer puncher like Lopez, though yuri has the better footwork of the two imo which could balance things out.

7. Lester1583

Lester1583 Can you hear this? Full Member

Dec 18, 2008
    How do you rate Yuri's punching power, lora?

In his earlier fights against Chin, Kittikasem he displayed very good power.

Maybe Yuri could drop Lopez with one of his well-timed counters?

8. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
  9. haNZAgod

haNZAgod New Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2016
    It's a tough call but I'd have to give the edge to Arbachakov due to the size advantage. Both well schooled great boxers though so it'd be a fun match-up.

10. Xplosive

Jun 23, 2008
    I think Arbachakov would have outclassed Lopez.

11. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Here's a fresh Yuri bout that wasn't available online until recently.

This content is protected

12. Xplosive

Jun 23, 2008
    Thanks.

I love the Kittikasem fights, both of them. Such a beautiful display of controlling the distance to land pin-point power punches.

Russell likes this.
  13. Flo_Raiden

Oct 12, 2010
    To this day I still think Arbachakov had the best straight right hand in the lower weight class. Yes, even better than Lopez, although he was a great right handed puncher himself. Lopez did have a better uppercut.
    I think Arbachakov would have beaten Lopez due to his size and power to go along with his skills. He showed just as much boxing finesse as Lopez with slightly better footwork.

Jpreisser likes this.
  14. Jpreisser

Jpreisser Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2015
    I haven't seen a better right hand. Closest thing to Tszyu's I've ever seen.

Hard fight to call with two superb technicians who vary slightly. I blame the addition of 105 and 108 for the impediment, however. Had they never existed, you would have had Lopez, Arbachakov, Johnson, Carbajal, Gonzalez, etc. competing alongside one another. It might have been a little golden era. Lopez wasn't coming out of that with his shiny '0', either.

Xplosive likes this.
  15. Xplosive

Jun 23, 2008
    105 and 108 are both pointless divisions, but ESPECIALLY 105.... theres no one who can make a case that a 105 division was ever needed. Completely useless division.

You're 100% right. Lopez, Gonzalez, Carbajal, Arbachakov, and Johnson should have all been in the same division.

I think Lopez goes 2-2 against those guys. I think he beats Carbajal and Gonzalez, but loses to Too Sharp and Yuri.

Jpreisser likes this.