Ricky Burns - Where does he go from here?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by StGeorge, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Redman

Redman Active Member Full Member

Sep 16, 2013
    The ****ing dole queue.

2. bigboots

bigboots Member Full Member

Jan 20, 2013
    he went out with a wimper. Crawford had a response to everything Burns had (which sadly wasn't that much). If Burns wants to stay at world level he could maybe look to re-match Beltran again. After his last 3 fights, 1 of the current world champs might fight Burns, as they'll probably see him as a fairly easy job. Hopefully Burns can get back to the same level he was when he fought Katsidis and Mitchell.

3. Barry Smith

Barry Smith Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Exactly, but what you have to remember is that most people who post on here clearly have no clue what they are on about and simply don't understand what it is they are looking at when they watch someone fight.

Part of it though is also down to blind fanboyism due the fact that Britain has always had a small talent pool, so anyone even half decent gets ridiculously hyped and overrated. People thought that Cleverly was a top LHW ffs and was going to beat Kovalev:lol:, just shows how a bit of hype and a nice looking record on paper, built up by beating average to poor opponents, can reel in the knuckle draggers who don't have the intelligence to know any better. A perfect example of this is Calzaghe, a good fighter no doubt, but the stuff you read about him on here is laughable, people saying he's an ATG and would beat guys like prime Roy Jones or even Michael Spinks:lol:.

These clowns are clueless.

4. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    It's laughable to suggest Hearn will now go ahead and put his hand in his pocket to bring a world champion to Scotland after that - he doesn't take gambles on his kids coming through he deals in stone cold business decisions. Burns is finished at world level anyway but if he insists on trying to get back there the only promoter who would do it for him would be Fraank & that obviously isn't going to happen.

Burns is heading back to domestic level and TBH after his last 3 fights its not unfeasible that's where he belongs now. I would be up for seeing a Mitchell rematch next - although it would unfair if Kevin had to go back to Scotland - Manchester would be reasonable if London can't be agreed.

5. rampant

rampant Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 24, 2011

Wasn't there but totally agree, something's missing! He's had a few tough fights on the bounce now and had a bad injury. Time for a rest and re-focus.

6. spurs ben316

spurs ben316 Active Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Gutted for Ricky Burns thought the fans were excellent. Crawford was better in all departments had a bet on Burns to win but heart ruling the head. With Ricky gentleman after the fight. But talk of a rematch in the States I just don't get that. In Scotland Ricky got beat all ends up. In USA think it would be even worse.

Fight with Beltarn makes sense but will he come over in a no title fight.
    Mitchell would be my option.
    Then maybe Crolla has a 3rd and think Ricky would win easily.

Hope Ricky has a max 5 fights get money in the bank and starts to think life after boxing, Good run Ricky 10 fights. Don't think anyone would have predicted that

7. Barry Smith

Barry Smith Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 13, 2012
    In a rematch Crawford would be more confident, less tentative and much more assertive and aggressive from the outset, Crawford would stop him.

8. StGeorge

StGeorge Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    A rematch would be a bad move as you say, he was clearly beaten, and I doubt the demand would eben be there from the fans

9. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    go commonwealth title and stay there.

10. Solaris

Solaris Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Reality is that Burns was a paper champ and wasn't even in the top 5 of the division.

Where does he go from here? I've honestly no idea.

11. StGeorge

StGeorge Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    What would be your top 5 in the division and where would you place Burns after that?

12. Solaris

Solaris Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Nov 7, 2009
    In no particular order I'd have:

Gamboa
    Abril
    Vasquez
    Crawford
    Shafikov

Above Burns.

Burns is maybe next, but he wasn't a champion for me.

13. sjp17

sjp17 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    You :yikes idiot !

14. colinsMrs

colinsMrs Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 3, 2012
    He has looked bad in his last 3 fights. Therefore I would like him to drop down a level and take on another Scot

Simpson or Appleby he should get a stoppage

McAllister or Limond would mean a move up in weight

I would like to see him in a Scott Harrison fight - A good win, a name, a Derby a win win

15. sjp17

sjp17 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Are you serious ?