Ricky Hatton vs Junior Witter

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Bronze Tiger, Aug 6, 2019.

1. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    What are you blabbering on about?

2. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Valid points

3. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Think it was a business decision on hatton/warrens part. Very few people looked good against witter. He was awkward and tricky. Around the time they we,re due to fight ricky was gathering a following for his action packed fights. A witter fight just wasnt an attractive proposition at the time. Hattons popularity was growing....no promoter really wants to stop that momentum with a dull/boring/tricky fight if they can help it.

I think over the span of their careers hatton showed he was the better fighter tho and would have probably won if they did fight. Witter flopped a bit against judah. And then went on to have a pretty decent career with some half decent names but no one outstanding....he pretty much always fell short when he stepped up to that other level. Good fighter witter both careers pretty much revealed who was the better fighter tho.

stittyb, zulander and Bronze Tiger like this.
  4. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    You're not Betty Swallacks in disguise are ya?

5. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    Nah
    What ever happened to the guy with toney i think were his avatar
    Good poster
    Regulary pulled hatton on his jive talking

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  6. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    He used to crease me up the way he went on about Hatton, very funny.
    Let's just say Ricky, sorry Wicky, wasn't his favourite fighter!
    All the same he was a knowledgeable poster.

ashishwarrior likes this.
  7. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Although they were campaigning in the same division for most of their careers, there were only narrow windows when the fight was a viable option. As Hatton was the money fighter, it had to make sense for his career to fight Witter.

Around 2003-4 when Hatton was treading water with the WBU belt, a domestic clash with Witter would have been worthwhile in a Groves-DeGale sort of way. A genuine crossroads grudge match where the winner goes onto bigger things, but the loser should be able to regroup and take another route to a title. Once Hatton had his eyes set on Tszyu, the Witter fight was of less relevance and there was no real incentive to go there.

Witter was only really viable after that once he got the WBC belt. In early 2007, Witter brought at least as much to the table as Urango. Hatton at that time though seemed set on a US campaign to push for a fight with Mayweather, and a Hatton-Witter fight made much more sense if he was fighting in the UK.

I think Hatton was somewhat reluctant to fight Witter. He didn't like the guy and knew that fighting him would elevate Witter into a bigger star. He was also a very difficult opponent on paper. I'm struggling to see a point in time when the rewards for fighting Witter justified the risks. Bearing in mind that Hatton fought in massive events against three Hall of Famers in 2005, 2007 and 2009, you can't really get too hung up on him not fighting Junior Witter.

If they had fought, Witter would definitely cause problems. He hit hard enough to hurt Hatton, and his sharp punching could cause cuts and bruising which Hatton was susceptible too. When you think of the Bradley fight though, and the Judah fight to some extent, Witter was the type of fighter who could go into a shell under pressure. I think Hatton at some point would be able to close the distance and Witter's punch output would decline, allowing Hatton to win a close decision.

Gatekeeper, stittyb and Gymbot like this.
  8. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    Agreed very good poster

9. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    You could say so, but even then I'd still have backed Hatton to beat him.

DJN16 likes this.
  10. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Not arguing bud.

11. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I think the post-Tszyu window existed for Hatton Witter after Ricky had lost against Mayweather. Witter was WBC champion, Hatton wanted a UK stadium fight and Witter was desperate for it. Yes it's a tricky comeback but the chance was there. Instead Hatton signed to fight Lazcano in a nothing fight really, Witter fought Bradley and the fight effectively vaporised.

Shame - definitely should have happened. I know Ricky would say he'd have won and his fans will say he needed an easy fight after Floyd but I reckon he ducked him just a little. I think Hatton could take losing to the elite but Witter winning would have been hard to bear.

12. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Hatton would put Witter in semi survival mode. Witter would rock him a few times but Hatton wins 8-4.

Gatekeeper, Furey and stittyb like this.
  13. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    The fight was possible directly after Mayweather, but if I was managing Hatton there's no way I would have taken the fight. Hatton was hit hard mentally by his first loss, his lifestyle was catching up to him, and the last thing he needed was a world class switch-hitting Ingle product coming off his career best win. The Lazcanos and Malignaggis of this world fit the bill at that point in time.

If the fight did happen then, with Hatton's increasing mental and physical fragility there is a real chance that a fired up Witter catches him on the right night and does a number on him.

14. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    Sense
    Rare round theses parts wicky could not risk facing Witter as he did not have the mental strength to deal with another loss especially to a fellow country man whom hed dismissed all along
    Would not take that risk why because there was a real risk hed lose
    Hence duck it and ***** it attitude
    And then come across as arrogant bragging about money pay days etc etc
    Didn't sit well with me
    What he hated Mayweather for he did to witter

15. SnoopyboyM

SnoopyboyM Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I think Hatton outworks Witter for a points win but gets hurt a few times and maybe even dropped