Riddick Bowe v Mike Tyson.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Jazzo, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Jazzo

Jazzo Non-Facebook Fag Full Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Tyson is in his physical prime at 23 or 24. Obviously there is some debate as to his hypothetical mental state and conditioning at this time.

Bowe is in his absolute Prime.

Both fighters look good at the weigh-in.

Pick the winner.

2. laxpdx

laxpdx Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2006
    I pick Bowe, given his size and reach advantages.

3. Jazzo

Jazzo Non-Facebook Fag Full Member

Feb 5, 2006
    I pick Bowe on the proviso that he does not get carried away with mixing it up. Great infighter for a tall man but he would have to fight sensibly.

I think he has the fortitude to do it.

4. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    I honestly feel Ruddock can match Bowe in some ways. I think Bowe is more versatile on the outside and inside but Ruddock had more power. So I'll pick Tyson but at least a decision.

5. Mr Butt

Mr Butt Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    tyson ud ,i feel he would make bowe fight to defensive and so win the fight

6. lefthook31

lefthook31 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jul 6, 2007
    I always said it took the combination of being big, able to box and move to upset Tyson. Douglas had these skills but he was inconsistent and didnt have the mean streak that Bowe had every fight. Bowe on paper had the goods to give Tyson a very difficult fight, but Tyson was very tough to bet against at his best. If I was betting on the fight, I would still go with Tyson. Too fast, too strong. Bowe would get hit and not sure he could take it.

7. godking

godking Active Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2006
    size and reach means nothing without defense and footwork.

Bowe lack of defense and brawling nature would play into Tysons hands

8. Chinxkid

Chinxkid Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Another vote for Tyson. I don't think Bowe has the speed or accuracy to keep Tyson out.

9. julianfoster88

julianfoster88 Member Full Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I would pick Bowe in this one I think Tyson was a little more fundamentally sound than Bowe but he wouldnt be able to knockout or stop Bowe because later on I could see Tyson getting discouraged from seeing Bowe taking his hardest shots but giving hard shots back but I pick Bowe he would probably have beaten Tyson with his jab and exchanging clean punches with him so i'd say Bowe UD

10. godking

godking Active Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Tyson gets discouraged if he does not land on you not if he takes punches. With bowes lack of defense Tyson would frequently and easily.

Bowe has not the defense or style to beat Tyson.

11. Chris Warren

Chris Warren Active Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Bowe doesnt have the style but apparently a bum like Buster Douglas did right? Bowe would clean the floor with Tyson. Infact any half way decent fight with a half was decent chin with half way decent power who wasnt afraid of a 5'10 woman beater would knock out Tyson.

12. Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea Obsessed with Boxing banned

Dec 26, 2007
    I rate a peak Riddick Bowe very highly, but Tyson is all wrong for him. I'd expect a stoppage in the mid to late rounds.

13. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Agreed. His defense and tendency to get tagged while trying to over power men on the inside would be his ultimate udoing, and these things are very bad attributes to have in a fight with Mike Tyson. The size and punching ability would certainly help Bowe, but it wasn't like Tyson was totally unaccustomed to taking on men who were 6'5", 230 Lbs. The one thing I might differ on, is your prediction for a mid round stoppage. We have to take into consideration that despite being in a few wars, Bowe was never stopped, and has reasonable durability. I think Bowe might have survived to the later rounds in similar fashion to the way Jose Ribalta did, perhaps even make it to the final bell. But he'd get busted up along the way.

Fergy likes this.
  14. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    Mike via stoppage, Bowe gets hits far too often and against a puncher and finisher like Tyson thats bad news.

15. junior-soprano

junior-soprano Active Member Full Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Tyson.. i am not a Tyson fan (he lacks heart in my opinion) but Bowe has not the defense for a prime Tyson. And whatever Tyson lacks where, his punching power and speed where phenomenal in his prime.