Riddick Bowe Vs, Joe Frazier Prime for Prime?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by TheSouthpaw, Apr 9, 2013.

1. JLP 6

JLP 6 Fighter/Puncher Full Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Riddick Bowe versus Holyfield I weight: 235

Other champions prime weight and what I think they would do against Riddick Bowe.

1. Sonny Liston: 217. KO's Bowe in the 9th. Too skilled, mean, and displined.

2. George Foreman: 217. KO's Bowe in the 10th. Too much power for Bowe to trade with, which is exact what Bowe would do.

3. Larry Holmes: 215 I have not seen a entire Larry Holmes fight so I will have to go with conventional wisdom that Larry Holmes has the jab, toughness, mobility, and wit to deal Bowe a decision loss.
    Bowe to toe up with.

4. Mike Tyson: 215 A war that could go either way. I think he could take the best Mike by KO because of his height and skill set. Mike has always had issues with moble taller fighters.

5. Muhammad Ali: 211 Ali on points or KO. Pick which you like. Too fast. Bowe would be in the fight but once those rights and lefts start raining down he starts losing heart and losing the fight.

6. Joe Frazier: 206 Frazier on points. I gave my explaination in the thread.

7. Joe Louis: 197 This is a relatively quick fight in my mind. Bowe will come forward. Look to shoulder up with Louis and from that point on will be getting leather like he has never seen. He will not be able to retreat and re-group because of his size. Joe finishes him early. 4 or 5.

8.Jack Dempsey: 192. Same as Louis. If he thought that Holyfield was fierce...wait until he is faced with the Willard fight Dempsey. I see Bowe giving some good leather but getting out gunned early and not not being able to retreat from the faster, better moving fighter.

9. Jersy Joe Walcott: 194 Too clever for Bowe and I also think he could one shot Bowe because of his power and timing. It goes the distance. Joe on points.

10. Rocky Marciano: 185 To give up this much weight and fight Bowe one must have a ton of heart, and great chin, and loads of power and determination. I think that Rocky has that to hang in there with this man and KO him.

I would like to know how those who pick Bowe, to use size and weight as the main factors, pick him against these fighting men. It seem pretty well documented that Bowe wasn't at his best when it came to training.

Maybe he was 235 instead of 215 like some of the greats on this list because he was overweight. Being overweight against prime killers doesn't bode well. Going life and death with a guy who only weights 205 (Holyfield) should make this point clear.

2. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Bowe wasn't overweight at 235, he was in good shape for Holyfield 1, he was 6'4, 82 inch reach and solid muscle. You're underestimating the difference size makes and the quality of Bowe's chin and resiliance, Not only that but Bowe has better skills than the likes of Foreman and Frazier, he's faster than Liston and much stronger with much more heart. Bowe's chin and heart are some of the best shown by a HW champion, up there with the smaller Rocky in that respect

Marciano - KO too big, too strong, too quick, too hard hitting. I don't see any range where Marciano would have an advantage here. Small pressure fighters like Marciano/Frazier do not do well against bigger men with A Class uppercuts and infighting skills

Frazier - Foreman-Frazier 3 right here, Bowe has the uppercut and power to put Frazier away.

Foreman - Bowe is bigger, quicker, rangier and technically better, he's probably just as strong too. If Lyle can nearly KO Foreman I think Bowe can KO Foreman.

Walcott - Walcott would outbox Bowe at times but as soon as Bowe catches upto him he knocks Walcott out cold

Liston - Liston never fought anyone near as big, Ali being the biggest he fought. Liston quit under pressure against Ali, I think Bowe has the size skill and heart to break Liston and make him quit or knock him out.

Tyson - Tyson has the speed but Bowe the size and uppercut inside, it's a toss up because of that

Dempsey - Dempsey would get knocked out on the way in. He's too small to take Bowe's punches and his defense isn't good enough to slip them. It's the whole pressure fighter versus bigger technical puncher issue again

Louis - Louis the quicker hands and similar in many ways to Bowe, both use their offense as their defense. Bowe would be the biggest and best opponent Louis had fought, it's hard to pick a winner, lean toward Bowe

Ali and Holmes outbox him with speed and movement, Lennox knocks him out I think, the Klits are 50-50 against him, he knocks out Jack Johnson

3. JLP 6

Sep 24, 2010
    I respect how highly you think of Riddick Bowe. I respect him as well and I see no shame in him losing to the guys I have posted.

With you Riddick Bowe goes 10-3 with 6KO's against these fighters.

You have him getting KO wins against: Sonny Liston, George Foreman, Jack Dempsey, Joe Frazier, Jersy Joe Walcott, and Jack Johnson. Liston quits, Dempsey, Maricano, Walcott and Frazier are destroyed.

Pretty impressive for a guy who's best win is against Evander Holyfield. Actually his only notable win against a great fighter.

Riddick Bowe who went 24 life and death rounds with this same Evander Holyfield in two fights, spliting wins, and then in the rubber match he was dropped yet, got up and finished Evander. Life and death again.

Thanks for the reply

4. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Bowe?...the man who threw the title belt in the trash to avoid fighting Lewis? Prime Frazier by TKO...

5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    What heavyweight did Frazier KO that was Bowe`s size with his skillset and power?

6. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Actually Joe Frazier was a slow starter. He was hurt early in fights and didn't get his bobbing and weaving rhythm until 4th or 5th round. That might prove costly with Bowe.

7. dyna

dyna Boxing Junkie banned

Jun 1, 2012
    Not just that, how many fighters ever took the beating Bowe took against Golota?

Saying Bowe would be stopped mid rounds in my eyes is pure heresy.
    No way would Frazier be able to go all out on Bowe like Golota did and I don't think he hits harder than Golota either.

Bowe stopping Frazier is the best bet I bet.

Also you're spot on with Frazier being a slow starter.

8. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Frazier stopping bowe must be a joke.. this would never happen imo. No way no how. It would be a brutal fight though for as long as it lasted. IMO that would be about the 8th round when Bowe puts him away.

9. JLP 6

Sep 24, 2010
    Riddick Bowe: 6'5" 81" reach 235
    Muhammad Ali: 6'2" 81" reach 217

He did not KO per se...but he dropped Ali and proceeded to beat the crap out of him in the first fight. In the Thrilla Ali had to sit down in the middle of the ring claiming he felt near death.

That should be good enough.

10. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I think you're underestimating Holyfield is a great great fighter, just look at his run from cruserweight, his pre-HW title run and the fact he deserved to beat Valuev 20+ years after winning his first world title.

Allot of those guys you posted are very small compared to Bowe, I don't think they could put a dent in him. He could just walk through anything his opponent threw and land something bigger it seemed.

That aside boxing is I'm not a big fan of Bowe, I prefer defensive boxers myself and his attitude stinks, but hell I wouldn't want to spar with the guy.

Or Holyfield or Hide or.....the guy could just walk through fire

Ali would school Bowe, but he isn't close to him power wise, Bowe's power is more comparable to Foreman, Ali is nearer to Holyfield's size than Bowe's.

11. dyna

dyna Boxing Junkie banned

Jun 1, 2012
    If Bowe would claim he had used voodoo and was now a zombie after the Golota fight I would have believed him.

Golota threw kitchen sink after kitchen sink at Bowe, and even the bathtubs didn't get spared.

You need much more than just dropping Ali to get Bowe down for good, much more.

[url]http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/garethadavies/6031401/HolyfieldValuev_decision_viewed_a_disgrace_by_television_viewers/[/url]
    "Why was it that so many who saw the fight on television thought Holyfield had won ? Because you see a different on tv – plus commentary, plus crowd support – than what is in front of you. Live coverage enhances perception, not television. That's why we go to these events.
    From ringside, there were varying degrees in opinion, and on the judges' cards, it came down to the final round."

It was a close fight with Valuev being absolutely awful, but Holyfield his extremely low workrate was just as bad.
    It's not a robbery/fix just something that could have been a draw too, or a SD win for Holyfield.

Many rounds didn't even have even one meaningful blow, fight could as well have been a NC for too low activity

12. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Listen, I like Bowe wins and wins convincingly.. but this notion that Bowe somehow used his size and bullied people around is just plain false. Bowe fought tall but he didn't fight big, and there are clear distinctions there for me. People are acting like Bowe was some kinda of stalker killer who just walked you down and put you out. This is actually not at all like how he fought. I pick him to win because I think Frazier is tailor made for Bowe.. but some of the other names people have bowe beating... frankly.. I just don't see.

13. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    I remember doing this thread on cyberboxingzone a few years ago and getting ridiculed for my selection of Bowe

How does a one handed infighter overcome the advantages of a man at least 6 inches taller and outweighed at least 30 pounds, with a busier worker rate?

he can't

Bowe stops the smaller Frazier before ten. I'd bet the house on it

14. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    SPEED advantage? wee not talking Terry Norris here

15. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Frazier has a better work rate than Bowe