Riddick Bowe vs Larry Holmes

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by WAR01, Sep 7, 2019.

1. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    At 29 Bowe was mysteriously shot (doesn't seem to be the result of any one fight, though the Golota fight worsened the situation a LOT). He wasn't anywhere near the fighter he was even in the Herbie Hide fight against Golota either time.

As far as Bowe falling apart against Evander....besides the brief knockdown I agree. Bowe was pretty much completely in possession of all faculties throughout the Holy fights (or so it seems to me).

2. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    I'm comparing Holmes Jab to the vicious combinations Evander was throwing with abandon trying to shake Bowe which in turn was fruitless as the man was walked down in all three fights I'm trying to say that Bowe walks Larry down despite his jab and it ends up in the trenches more then you'd care to admit unless you believe Larry's jab has more stopping power then the four punch combos that Evander was throwing?

3. WAR01

Aug 19, 2019
    Indeed my man we seem to share common thoughts.

4. WAR01

Aug 19, 2019
    I agree with your comparison of Evander and Holmes with the exception being i believe Holyfield to be the more durable of the two by a notable margin their styles set them apart here for me Evander will go to war where as Larry's preference resides in the safety his speed, reach and jab provide something that I believe Riddick neutralizes.

I want you to explain how Larry does in the trenches against Bowe whom has the chin to stalk Holmes and will end up on the inside, now this is Larry's weakest point undeniably so and he's against a significantly larger man with arguably the best infighting in the heavyweight division.

5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Look man believe what you want. We all got our opinions and now im done discussing this with you.

6. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Again, in the trenches Big Daddy is going to find out that Holmes' uppercut is significantly more powerful than Holy's, and on a par with Bowe's own.

As far as Holmes' jab being better than Holy's combis at keeping away Bowe...I say yes, but not in terms of cumulative or one-punch power. Timing, accuracy, ring generalship...YES more effective at keeping Bowe away.

7. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    See my post above, my friend.

8. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Larry would stay away, use that jab, and win an 8-4 ud.

9. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Mercer has both a chin and power comparable to Bowe’s. How did that go against middle-aged Holmes?

RulesMakeItInteresting and BCS8 like this.
  10. WAR01

Aug 19, 2019
    The majority opinion is that Homles would prevail no need to revive the thread I do though believe the style of fight Bowe would propose would gain more sufficient results then what Mercer produced.

11. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Agree, Holmes would control this bout with the jab. Bowe didn't react very well to Golota's jabbing and Holmes has one of the fastest and crispest jabs there is.

12. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    That’s my hunch. But to be even-handed, Bowe is a much better outside fighter than Mercer.

RulesMakeItInteresting and BCS8 like this.
  13. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    I can agree with that, if I’m reading you right.

RulesMakeItInteresting and WAR01 like this.
  14. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Holmes by decision.

He has to move and stay on the outside.

He also has to watch out for Bowe's very dangerous right hand.

Bowe can rough up Larry on the inside if he gets there consistently.

If Holmes is fully focused, he can win a decision without getting hurt.

If not, Bowe can blast him with a right hand and hurt him badly. Then, Holmes would have to use his recuperative powers to try and survive before getting on his bike again. Holmes has proven he can do this and would probably recover to win a decision.

15. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Bowes weight with Golota was a disgrace. Bowe in shape instead was all another stuff: he was at the same level of Tyson, Holy and Lewis. In any case he would always beat old Holmes for KO or decision. With prime Holmes an Holmes win for UD wouldnt have been a surprise.