Riddick Bowe vs these power-punchers

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Showstopper97, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Bowe was wide open for Frazier's body assault, and Frazier was quick enough to duck under Bowes punches and fire right back. Unless Bowe manages to stop Frazier by the 6th, he's going to be in for a very rough night. Challenging Frazier to an inside fight wouldn't be the best strategy, Bowe should use his jab and uppercuts but that wouldn't be easy to do because Frazier could slip past the jabs of boxers much faster than Bowe.

2. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Bowe is gonna maul him on the inside.
    Yes, Bowe got pas Ali's jab in some instances, but when that happened, Ali didn't know what to do except to grab him and clinch.
    Bowe would trade with him, and Frazier won't come out the winner of that exchange.

3. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    If you are fighting a guy with short arms up close in the inside, the shorter armed guy is going to be landing more often than you. Bowe is very good on the inside and has powerful punches but his long arms would put him at a disadvantage. He also has very leaky defense and slower hands. It would be better for Bowe to keep Frazier off of him.

I'm not saying Bowe can't win, but on the inside Frazier has the advantage.

4. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Bowe's equalizer inside is his uppercut, his most powerful shot. He could conceivably knock Joe senseless with that punch. That said, Joe is deservedly reknown for his inside work, and uppercuts seemed to get him more outside ala Foreman.

Bottom line, I don't see Bowe getting the better inside, though he was a game and often effective fighter there.

5. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    I think the advantage Bowe has here over most others is that he has the size and ability to fight effectively at distance while also being real good up close. Not as good as Frazier, but far better than a fighter his size has a right to be. He has more options than just tying Frazier up, while Frazier has no option at distance to do anything but try to close on a much larger man who happens to be able to bang.

Bowe's infighting ability would make this fight really interesting. If '92 Bowe shows up, might be a real rough night for Frazier. If lazy, unfocused, skips the gym to hit the buffet Bowe shows up, might be a real rough night for Bowe.

6. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    I think he’d absolutely wash out Foreman and chase him out of the ring. Horrible match up for Foreman.

7. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    The issue is Bowe never fought any of the punchers of the 90s, he somehow managed to avoid them all.

Bowe showed decent chin vs a fair hitter in Holyfield, and showed heart in 2nd fight against Golota taking a beating, but he never fought any concussive hitters who could really bang with one punch. So were just speculating at this point, because Bowe's chin is unproven against a real banger. Unless you count Herbie Hide who a Cruiserweight, but even he had Bowe all over the place the few times he landed.

But seeing how Bowe has no defense, and doesn't use his height or reach. I would suspect a few fighters on that list may stop him.

8. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Bowe never really fought effectively at distance though, he didn't use his physical advantages like height and reach.