[RING, Aug. 1945] Jack Johnson picks Jeffries, Fitz, and Langford to ko Louis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Jul 2, 2018.

1. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Hagiographer Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Childs is an enigma to me. On the one hand he was beating guys like Bob Armstrong, on the other he was utterly embarrassed against Dan Creedon

2. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 30, 2019
    You have to have irrational bias against Carnera to pick Lang over him...

3. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Well you think I'm biased irrationally or otherwise ,as does your alter ego Gazelle Punch, so no worries really.

4. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Creedon was the reigning Australian and US Middleweight Champ. CBZ lists their fight as 3rds ,police intervened;Box rec as a pts win for Creedon can you share any further info you have please?

5. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    The Chicago Daily Tribune- 1894 Jun 06 (page 11)
    Childs Could Not Warm Up Creedon
    The boxing card at the Madison Street Opera-House last night consisted of two bouts aside from those between members of Dan Creedon's company. Both contests were simply walkovers for the visiting fighters, the local men making scarcely a showing.
    Frank Childs, the Californian, appeared promptly enough for his bout with Creedon. His fighting reputation vanished as soon as he entered the ring, Creedon having matters all his own way from start to finish. Child dodged around the ring and even fell down in a heap to escape punishment, while the crowd laughed uproariously. Creedon outclassed the big Californian so vastly that the Manager Benton stopped the contest in the third round, after which Creedon and Dick Moore sparred for points.

The Daily Inter Ocean- 1894 Jun 06 (page 4)

STOPPED THE FIGHT
    Creedon-Childs Contest is Called Off After Three Rounds.
    Two sparring matches, aside from exhibitions between members of the company, were brought off at Sam T. Jack's Opera-House, last night, the visiting fighters having no trouble in besting their local competitors.
    Bobby Dobbs had things all his own way with a young colored lightweight, Jimmy Nelson, keeping out of the amateur's reach and not attempting to punish him severely.
    Frank Childs, the big Californian, who was expected to give Dan Creedon a hard tussle, was on hand when time was called–and that was about all. He was careful to keep out of close quarters, and ran around the ring like a sprinter in hard training. Creedon went after him, and Childs sat down to escape punishment. The crowd howled with laughter, and the manager stopped the "fight" in the third round.
    Dobbs and Tom Tracey started in on what was supposed to be a friendly exhibition. Something went wrong and the men slugged each other furiosly from start to finish. Dick Moore and Creedon put up a very pretty contest. Tonight Jim Looby, Professor O'Connell's pupil, goes against Bobby Dobbs. Frank Garrad will spar with Tom Tracey and Tommy White will face Tom Boalwart.

6. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Thanks very much,doesn't sound very kosher does it?

7. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    You think it was fixed?

It's always possible, but I don't think there's enough reason to conclude that. I think there other fights shows Creedon as a higher level fighter.

In terms of it possibly being racially motivated, Dobbs was black too (it's him who scored an early win over Gans).

ron davis likes this.
  8. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Gazelle Punch as my alter ego? :D This is something I haven't heard before.

9. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Similarities in posts and opinions towards me,no probs ,it's not a crime,we like who we like and vice versa.

10. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    I don't know, but it doesn't sound right,it's news to me so maybe I just need to get my head around it? Creedon was a damn good fighter anyway.

ron davis and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  11. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    One thing you can't take away from Johnson is that his ancestors invented the adze.

12. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Gazelle believes that anything pre 1930 shouldn't count count and that Dempsey was too crude to beat someone like Marciano....

13. The G-Man

The G-Man Active Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Jack was always a Louis hater.I always thought it was more due to the way he accepted to carry himself as he respected those “rules” imposed to him at the time-not smiling in the ring,not posing over a fallen opponent etc.
    Basically everything Jack stands for.
    Still would have liked to have been instead of Nat!
    Johnson was less than a year to his death at this point.

14. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    He is certainly more dogmatic than you.As far as Marciano is concerned he really doesn't entertain the possibility of anyone being his master.