Ring Magazine: 10 best KO artists of the present, as of March 29, 2012

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Nonito Smoak, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Collie

Collie Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2012
    1. GGG
    2. Kovalev
    3. Wladamir
    4. Stevenson
    5. Walters
    6. Jhonny Gonzalez
    7. Inoue
    8. Beterbev
    9. Roman Gonzalez
    10. Lemieux

I'll explain my reasoning when I get the chance and open to vritique of the list as its really just off the top of my head

2. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Think Yamanaka might be worthy of Honorable Mention now, even if he didn't actually KO his last opponent.

3. Alcanelo

Alcanelo The Spider Full Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Beterbiev ahead of Roman G and Lemieux, just lol. I'm a massive Inoue fan but even having him ahead of Roman G is a joke. Wlad has no business in a top 5 either. Knocking out a few bums and once decent HW in your last few fights merits f*ck all. Matthyse should be in every top 10. Thurman and Ceja are also worthy mentions for inclusion

4. Collie

Collie Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Yes hm but doesn't crack the top 10 sounds about right.

5. KupidStunt

KupidStunt Guest

Matthysse couldn't even KO Zab Judah. Khan got rid of him in 6

6. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    I remember looking them up late in August. Here's what I came up with. Klitschko, Wilder, Stevenson, Kovalev, Golovkin, Kirkland, Thurman,
    This content is protected
    , Walters, Giovani Segura, Roman Gonzalez.

7. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Martinez and Maidana are KO artists? :lol::lol::lol:

8. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Appreciate it, guys. I like much of Collie's list.

I'd go, in no order, with at least these 9 guys, not sure about the final spot:

Wladimir Klitschko
    Sergei Kovalev
    Adonis Stevenson
    Gennady Golovkin
    Roman Gonzalez
    Naoya Inoue
    Nicholas Walters
    Jhonny Gonzalez
    Lucas Matthysse

My list would also be more of a focus on "KO power" as opposed to "KO artists." Because if we are speaking solely of KO'ing opponents in style (I hate sounding like a fanboy because I always take the opportunity to give a shout out to this guy when applicable) then Kazuto Ioka makes the list with his very stylish stoppages. And many of these guys are getting by with performances years passed so despite recent horrible form, there is a case for Nonito Donaire to make the list still (as Walters ended like an 8 fight streak of Donaire scoring a knockdown).

9. Benitom3

Benitom3 Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 16, 2012
    Raymi #1 obviously

10. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    He did score a KO of the Year and one of the best in recent times against Paul Williams less than a year and a half before this list came out and followed that up with brutalizing Dzinziruk around the canvas and bursting Darren Barkers' eardrum to score a KO.

As for Maidana, his stoppage ratio was great and the Ortiz and Cayo fights were somewhat recent and showcased power. Despite giving up every advantage to the very highly thought of Khan at the time, he barely lost that fight and had him as out-on-his-feet as possible in that 10th round, a clear 10-8... Since then he knocked down previously un-knocked down Broner twice and scored good stoppage wins over Josesito Lopez and Jesus Soto Karass despite rising in weight so while I wouldn't put him in my top 10 right now, he does still have undeniably good, at the least, power.