Ring magazine p4p update: Canelo #3, Golovkin #4

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by KiwiMan, Sep 18, 2018.

1. KiwiMan

KiwiMan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Loma & Crawford still #1 and #2, Usyk #5 and Garcia #6.

In my eyes this is correct, Canelo-GGG II was so close/controversial so the winner does not surpass Lomachenko or Crawford yet.

Rumsfeld, Chuck Norris, Serge and 5 others like this.
  2. LeftRightDownThePipe

LeftRightDownThePipe Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Yeah Clenelo definitely didn’t earn the right to have his tainted name next to Loma in the PFP rankings. Ring Magazine should rewatch Saturday nights rematch and score it themselves. Then rank GGG and Clenelo in their proper spots. PROPER SPOTS.

#1 Loma
    #2 Usyk
    #3 GGG

#9 Canelo*****

Serge, OvidsExile and surreal deal like this.
  3. uppercut_to_the_body

uppercut_to_the_body Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Why is Nietes still in the top 10? Looks shot and not good.

OvidsExile and KiwiMan like this.
  4. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    You must be aggrivsted that people actually rank Canelo as number 1 p4p @KiwiMan. P4p is very subjective and if people rank him as number 1 over his victory of GGG, then by all means that's their prerogitive.

5. KiwiMan

Feb 28, 2016
    Well everyone's entitled to their own list, and obviously Canelo is far from the worst choice for #1, however organizations such as the Ring magazine should try to choose the best options.

And I think they did. Had Canelo won easily, e.g. say 9-3, 10-2 or so, I might have to seriously consider him #1 based on resume but it was a very close fight and I previously had both well below Lomachenko and Crawford.

If you use resume to dictate a p4p list well then fair enough, but I guess guys like Pacquiao is somewhere up there too when he's actually shot ... That's not for me.

P.S. I was critical of how long they kept GGG at #1 too, to me Lomachenko and Crawford have been ahead for a while ... so you cannot say I'm not consistent.

Northadox, Robney, pincai and 2 others like this.
  6. KiwiMan

Feb 28, 2016
    P.S. @drenlou I'm not bothered about people on here having Canelo #1: firstly I couldn't care less about random p4p lists here, half by trolls, and secondly, among the lists that do matter there are some absolutely disastrous calls far exceeding Canelo at #1; check some of the ESPN guys for instance.

But I do try to educate people and present my viewpoint in a fair manner.

7. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Who you've beaten along with skills you posses are a big factor in determining whos the best fighter in the world P4P. ITS a toss up in the skills department for Loma, Crawford and Canelo because they're good at what they do and they each have their strengths and weaknesses but resume and who you've beaten should play the deciding factor when you have 3 guys who's are damn near the best skilled fighters in the world. Canelo beat the monster at his game, and though it was close i felt he done enough to win and that puts him p4p number 1 imo.

8. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Not only did he whoop the monster he spotted him 10 lbs,

I havent seen anything from Loma or Crawford that can compare

The GGG fight was only controversial for his crying nut huggers of which there was always many

Braindamage and Kush like this.
  9. 22JM

22JM Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Canelo vs GG is big than anything Loma and Crawford vs anything, they need great wins

10. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Canelo should be #1
    1.canelo
    2.loma
    3.crawford

shadow111, yeyo monster, Kush and 3 others like this.
  11. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Record vs. former/then present/future titlists:

Alvarez, 12-1-1 /// Vazquez x2, Baldomir, N'dou, Cintron, Mosley, Trout, Lara, Cotto, Khan, Smith, Chavez, Golovkin - Mayweather - Golovkin

Mikey, 10-0 /// Pastrana, Barros, Salido, Lopez, Martinez, Rojas, Zlaticanin, Broner, Lipinets, Easter

Nietes, 8-0-1 /// Porpramook, Rodriguez, Hirales, Fuentes, Rodriguez, Garcia, Sosa, Reveco - Fuentes

Crawford, 6-0 /// Burns, Gamboa, Beltran, Postol, Indongo, Horn

Lomachenko, 6-1 /// Russell, Martinez, Walters, Sosa, Rigondeaux, Linares - Salido

Inoue, 5-0 /// Taguchi, Hernandez, Narvaez, Kono, McDonnell

Golovkin, 5-1-1 /// Ouma, Geale, Lemieux, Brook, Jacobs - Alvarez - Alvarez

Usyk, 4-0 /// Glowacki, Huck, Briedis, Gassiev

Srisaket, 4-2 /// Sato, Gonzalez x2, Estrada - Yaegashi, Cuadras

Spence, 3-0 /// Algieri, Brook, Peterson

---

Honestly, I see no way how in the world Spence can be on this list. He's the one that has to go. Nietes at this point would be the next most questionable, I suppose. The other eight are rock solid.

yeyo monster and IsaL like this.
  12. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    What if we add the condition that they had to have been a former/present/future titlist in the division the fight took place.

Brook skipped a weight class, he would barely be a top 25 middleweight at best. That isnt the equivalent of fighting a legit champ

Braindamage likes this.
  13. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Oh most certainly that is highly relevant. A lot of these names would disappear.

14. Zhuge Liang

Zhuge Liang Active Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2018
    I thought Canelo will takeover the #1 since he beat GGG. I think the P4P rating has more to do than head-to-head result.

Congrats to Loma. P4P #1 in amateur boxing and now P4P #1 in professional too.

15. Kush

Kush Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Canelo #1

Golostkin should still be top 10. He tried his hardest and can probably beat anyone else but just not Superstar Canelo Alvarez.

mono, shadow111 and IsaL like this.