[RING, Oct. 1981] Cooney- Holmes predictions

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Is it?

Who would you pick in a fight between the 1982 Gerry Cooney and the 1986 Trevor Berbick? Berbick, since you think he has a better resume?

Didn't Berbick have a better resume than Mike Tyson, too, before they fought?

Also, OF COURSE people give credit to fighters for losing to a great champ.

Do you give Vitali Klitschko more credit for losing to Lennox Lewis than you do Manuel Charr for outpointing Ustinov?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    You aren't using those dodgy WBC and WBA ratings again are you? They are some of the most disgraceful things i've seen in my life.

Young had lost 4 of his last 7 fights, two of them to a green Ocasio for heavens sake.
    Norton would have schooled Cobb a few years earlier instead of going tooth and nail. Cobb had only ever beaten Shavers and neither looked pretty to say the least. Lyle? He was stopped a year earlier by the forgettable Lyn Ball, a guy he'd use as a sparring partner in his prime. The guy was shot. Norton never fought again.

The guys were past it and not top 10 material in the real world.

Saad54 and Titan1 like this.
  3. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    And Larry would have dispatched them ALL.

4. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    based on what? In reality Cooney was a big heavyweight with power {in one hand} who feasted on past their best opponents. Against Holmes Cooney showed a lack of experience and ring pace. He didn't even have the confidence to press his fight and go for the knockout. His performance wasn't disgraceful but lets not make it out to be the Thrilla in Manila.