Ring Pits Pacquiao Against the ATG's

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Jul 18, 2007.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Nice to see somebody getting paid for what we do obsessivley for free.

Here is the Ring's prediction for Pacman v some all time greats, and a couple of lines from each analysis.

KID CHOCOLATE - It's hard to pick Chocolate when you know he really didn't have the stick to keep Pacquiao off of him. But boxers as good as Chocolate was (136-10-6(51)) don't lose to guys who make the kind of mistakes Pacquiao makes...Chocolate by decision.

HENRY ARMSTRONG - It is possible that Pacquiao's power and speed would give him the edge. But Armstrong was one of the game's ATG punchersand his in you-chest-style would negate Pac's southpaw advantage...[Armstrong] would be too damn strong and too tough...In a war, Armstrong by late KO.

WILLIE PEP - You think Juan Manuel Marquez figured Pacquiao out after a few rounds? It would take Pep about 30 seconds. This one isn't close: Pep by comfortable decision.

SANDY SANDLER - If you were going to beat Saddler in a big fight, there was one imperative: Don't let him hit you. Pac chases that imperative by attacking...Saddler...was stopped once in 162 fights. If Pacquiao couldn't stop him or seriously hurt him, and almost no-one did, and he couldn't outbox him when Pep couldn't, what is left? Getting stopped in the middle rounds. That's what.

FLASH FORDE - ...not an easy fight for Pacquiao...But ultimately Pacquiao's superior firepower would be the difference...Pacman would get enough business done to take a comfy decision.

VICENTE SALDIVAR - Pacquiao outshines Saldivar in a couple of key areas: hand speed and power...Saldivar was steadier than Pac and technically better...and certainly physically stronger...here, you have got to go with the better hitter. Pacquiao in 10.

RUBEN OLIVARES - His hands were slower than Pacquiao's, but he hit harder, especially to the body. Both fighters would hit the canvas...Pacquiao's quicker hands and likely better conditioning would make the difference. Pacquiao, late, on cuts.

BOBBY CHACON - ...wouldn't match Pacquiao's speed and would be outpunched in most exchanges. Pacquiao by TKO some time after 10.

SALVADOR SANCHEZ -...it is very easy to make a case for Sanchez outpointing Pacquiao...his strong jab, his smart, purposeful movement, and sturdy chin would keep him in it. Moreover he wouldn't panic or succumb in the face of the Pacman's attack. He is too cool. He'd catch Pacman coming with enough straight rights and counters to probably cut him and win a close, arguable decision.

AZUMAH NELSON - Nelson just did not lose to guys that came to him, as Pacquiao certainly would. End of story.

At first read I thought the were a wee bit hard on Mani. But it's hard to argue with the picks - the write ups are a tough on him though. Perhaps it could be disputed that Olivares hits harder than Pacman for example. I also think that he has a chance to disrupt Pep a bit more than Ring does.

Anyway, what do you guys think of these picks?

2. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Flash Elorde would not want to lose to a fellow Filipino... Elorde WS15

Pacquiao might beat Saldivar, but stop him? Me thinks not.

Pacquiao WM15

Chacon, an all time Great... please

I see Pacquiao edging Sanchez

Pacquiao WS15

The rest I can agree with.

3. Mantequilla

Mantequilla Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    very difficult to imagine manny beating saldivar