Ritson vs Townend

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Smudge_, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    This fight is OFF. Ritson is vacating his British title as he can no longer make the lightweight limit and is moving up to light-welter. Townend will now face Cordina in April instead.

I suppose the warning signs were there for Ritson, in his last 2 or 3 fights he had to weigh in more than once to make the weight, and we seen how he struggled to take those body shots in the Patera fight, which is a another sign that somebody's struggled to make weight. It'll be interesting to see how Ritson does at 140. His strongest attribute at 135 was his punch power. Will he be as effective at 140?

305th likes this.
  2. @Maley

@Maley Active Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Saw tweets from ritson saying he struggled to make the weight for the European title fight. I don't get why they made the townend fight in first place think it was well known he was a massive lightweight and making the limit was a struggle.. Good to see townend is fighting cordina and he hasn't missed his chance.

Scissors and im sparticus like this.
  3. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Ritsons career going down the drain

305th likes this.
  4. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Good fight for Cordina. British and commonwealth on the line.

NasalSpray likes this.
  5. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    I feel like Cordina is the real deal. Would like to see him step up soon.

6. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    To be fair, how often do we pan fighters on here for not moving up in weight soon enough.

When they don't, we see it negatively effects there career.

Ritson is young, so at least he's now doing it at the right time and it won't hamper his peak years.

BoxingABC1 likes this.
  7. undercut

undercut New Member Full Member

Oct 24, 2014
    For me Ritson was taking too many shots against mediocre opponents, he's a bit of a one trick pony and lacks boxing craft, if he moves up he'll get banged out, I don't think Cordina has adapted to the pro scene his performance against Dodds was very average.