RJJ VS Usyk

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Goran_, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Roy beat no one of any note above LHW other than slow plodder Ruiz who wasn't even allowed to fight his usual huggy bear fight by the ref ie. his bread and butter. The only question is whether Usyk takes pity on him and cracks that chin or not.

Pugguy, mark ant and lepinthehood like this.
  2. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Not really. Usyk usually takes a few rounds to warm up, and in that window his opponents usually have some success. A fighter of Roy's calibre certainly won't be getting outclassed from the opening bell. It'll be a grind down from the mid rounds on.

3. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    I know all of this.

Again, you would have had to have favoured Usyk big.

However, there’s no point saying that Usyk was levels above Lebedev, and then referencing their fight.

That’s not the version of Roy that Usyk would have been fighting.

IMHO, the Ruiz version of Roy would have toyed with Lebedev.

4. 40ozoe

40ozoe Member Full Member

Aug 12, 2022
    Yeah.... Denis beat a Jones that was way past it. What a joke. Why do people have to write such nonsense?

I suppose that next you will be mentioning how a prime Usyk would destroy a 70 year old version of Muhammad Ali.

5. 40ozoe

Aug 12, 2022
    This whole question is trash really.

You might as well ask: Who would have won at heavyweight Michael Grant or Floyd Mayweather jr? Obviously Grant and obviously that is really irrelevant.

Boil Usyk and RJjr down to the same height and weight while allowing them to maintain their prime athleticism and skills and then we will have a real P4P fight and Roy makes Usyk look like nobody just like he always did.

6. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    With Roy's chin? Looool.

Jimmy wilde would destroy Roy if you boiled him down.

7. 40ozoe

Aug 12, 2022
    Roy wasn't ever a heavyweight, he wasn't even really a light heavyweight, his best weightclass would probably have been middleweight where he would have enjoyed a decent size parity with most fighters and his huge skill advantage over them. And yet regardless of this Roy Jones jr went all the way up to heavyweight and captured a championship and became the best pound for pound fighter of all times.

Hell at the weighin for his 16th professional fight Roy Jones jr only weighed 153 pounds which is really just one pound above the junior middleweight limit.

And yet some losers think that it matters if RJJr would have beaten this or that lousy heavyweight. Give me a break.

8. CooperKupp

CooperKupp Jokic For MVP Full Member

Aug 28, 2022
    YDKSAB

lepinthehood likes this.
  9. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Reread the posts, genius.

10. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Usyk by savage KO

11. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Roy Jones made his name on James Toney and Bernard Hopkins. Not bad at all, but know this; Hopkins and Toney die against Uysk. Yes, die.

12. 40ozoe

Aug 12, 2022
    Lets be honest here. Usyk is a fellow that nearly lost to Mairis Briedis, a fighter from Latvia, a nation that has practically not had any other world champions. I am a fan of Briedis, I think that his accomplishments are remarkable and compared to most fighters he is a magician really but when you compare him to Roy Jones jr then he really becomes just another guy who flips burgers at the Krusty Krab. And this is the guy who fought Usyk to a virtual draw so don't expect Usyk who had a size advantage over Briedis by the way to be any better than he is.

Oh Jesus, Usyk would have lost to Briedis if not for his size advantage.

13. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    I’d have loved to have seen Usyk fight the version of Toney from the Jirov fight in 2003.

I don’t think that Usyk would have had it all his own way.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  14. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    A very different stylistic match up, but proof that Usyk has a stylistic nemesis, just like other fighter has.

15. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    So apparently it's unfair to pit the version of Roy who fought Lebedev against Uysk but it isn't unfair to point out the fact that Roy was jacked silly on PEDs throughout his 'prime' which gets conveniently forgotten :lol:

Usyk went through like 5 different trainers in 8 fights IIRC since his first defence at CW and he fired the trainer he was working with for Briedis after the fight. These last five fights of Usyk's career has been the only time since the the start of his career to his 11th fight where he's had any type of real continuity when it comes to a head trainer.

And Briedis would spark Roy out cold on his face in HL reel fashion :lol:

Klitschko brother's former chef and camp manager on Briedis

''I knew Mairis was a danger and would win. Bad choice for Charr . Mairis can bang!''

''no
    but he was great at movement. You have to stay focused with Mairis at all times.''

Mairis is a tough dude. Had him at least 6-8 times in Wlad and Vitalis camps. Always gives top work''

''Mairis can box that way is all day long, but dont be fooled, the boy has some power. Seen it first hand''

''I DID... but I know what Mairis was capable of from many many times in Klitschko camps.''

James Ali Bashir on Briedis

Said Briedis sparred Wlad numerous times and was never hurt by him, which he says is very rare for anyone who has sparred more than 30 rounds with Wlad.

Time-stamped

This content is protected

And Wlad on Briedis

Just because he morphed into more of a boxer puncher and had bad hand issues doesn't mean he doesn't carry huge power

Imagine what just one of these bombs would do to Roy's chin and he's not some flat-footed slow tailor-made plodder like John Ruiz

This is what he did to a durable 250lb HW Diamond Boy Charr

Out cold flat on his face from a solitary devastating uppercut

CW Sergiy Radchenko who has sparred Wlad, Usyk, Briedis, Huck, Glowacki, Wlodarczyk, Kudryashov and Chakhkiev among others said this about Briedis

''You just can't be lighting fast and hit hard at the same time in this division, although Mairis Briedis is an exception - he is fast, the second fastest guy I sparred behind Usyk, and hits very hard''

Goran_ likes this.