Roberto Durán the Greatest of all Time??

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by The Malibu Mauler, Nov 27, 2018.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I feel DeJesus is underrated.

2. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    DeJesus was good, but not top 50 p4p material.

3. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Duran had his chance to cement his claim to the #1 ATG by defending his WW crown, but he lost to SRL in No Mas. (Totally Duran's fault). He loses by decision to Benitez. He loses by decision to Hagler. Then he gets bombed out by Hearns. I don't think he ever defended any championship he won above Lightweight.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  4. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Some decent stuff is posted on the boxing reddit, but it's also a total echochamber (the nature of reddit), with a lot of ignorant and stupid opinions being very popular. There's people getting upvoted for claiming Cunningham wasn't a cruiserweight.

Though depending on criteria, I don't think Duran is that bad an opinion, seeing it as clear and disagreeing being stupid is moronic.

5. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Not sure where i rate him in terms of GOAT list.

But I rate him above Ray. Even though they are only 5 years apart in age, Duran had 12 years or so of ring experience/wear & tear, depending on how one looks at it. Gave up 4 inches in height, 7 inch reach & had 72 fights going in? 71-1.

Ray's anointing by Ali placed him in the limelight, not to add on that Olympics boxing was huge on ABC American television, so I think Ray got points for being great before he could prove it.
    He had to pull a fight out in order to win the title. No boxing skills made Benitez look bad, simply put Ray had to scrap like a dog to win.

& One...who cares for his 1st defense aka Davey Green....Ray is battered & bruised by Duran. 40 fight career isnt that great IMO. If it isnt filled with great wins plural over primed dudes.

11 fights out of the next 10 years. Just imagine had Ray fought in the era of internet and boxing forums..LMAO. He'd be ridiculed. Hearns IMO whooped him both fights, but as usual his chin just couldn't hold up.

Outside of Ray's win over Hagler, he did what in 40 fights to rank him over a dude who fought consistently great and did it constantly?

I'm not a Ray hater. I grew up adoring his Olympics fights, but to be objective, I'd have to rewrite my requirements to make a 40 fight career with a come from behind TKO over Hearns 1 speculative B.S draw over Hearns & UD in 1989 (20 years pro) of a fat chaloopa in Duran.

I was just as impressed in Duran's 83' loss to Hagler than Ray's win over Hagler. Ray was sweet in the fight, even though he ran a LOT, while Duran fought a MW with his own game and went the distance.

Wherever I rank Duran..Ray is about 10-30 spots below.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  6. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    oh & IMO, Ray Robinson whoops Duran. I think if Homicidal Hank & Duran were in the same division @ prime, that would have been the beginning of a trilogy, I'd give it 2-1 for Homicidal.

The Malibu Mauler likes this.
  7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Duran may have been better than Leonard, but Ray beat Benitez while Duran lost to him at light middle, that proved Ray was a great fighter in his own right and I suppose that Duran wasn`t an elite light middle.

8. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Yes

The Morlocks likes this.
  9. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    That`s because he was a natural lightweight with a very short reach, would Pernell Whitaker have beaten Leonard, Hagler or Hearns.

BitPlayerVesti and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  10. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Sometimes you need to stay in the arena where your assets are maximized....or you get embarrassed. Kinda like a Spitfire fighting a Mig 15....and wondering why you are being shot down.

red cobra likes this.
  11. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Mark Ant you should post up your top 40 or top 100. I really want to see it. I enjoy debating with you

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  12. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Duran is the best overall fighter I have seen.

13. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Sugar Ray Robinson was, still is, and is likely to remain the Greatest of All Time....P4P, oz for oz, however way to want to calibrate it.

The Malibu Mauler likes this.
  14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    He can't be the greatest ever for a variety of reasons including the infamous quit.

He should be in the top 10 tho and possibly could push top 5.

Strictly talking ability one could argue he was is the best fighter we have good film of. Personally i would put SRR above him for starters but he's in the mix that's for sure.

Jel and The Malibu Mauler like this.
  15. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    He wouldn't make my top 10 pound-for-pound.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.