Roberto Duran vs Arguello, Whitaker, Chavez, Castillo and Floyd at 135

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Big Ukrainian, Feb 22, 2017.

1. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I think Chavez would be brutally hurt or stopped in that fight. There isn't a single thing he does better in the ring than Duran. He's not faster in hand speed or foot... his movement isn't better.. he's not a better counter puncher... he's not better defensively... he doesn't have more power... he's not a better ring general, nor does he have a better ring IQ. I'm honestly at a loss for what he does better that would make him able to beat Duran. To be, Chavez would get brutalized.

ETM, Contro and Mortal like this.
  2. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    In real life...unless these fights are spaced out, he loses one somewhere...(Mayweather would probably be the one who waits him out, and beats him) In fantasy land best v best scenario...He beats them all.

bodhi and Reinhardt like this.
  3. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Duran would KO Chavez, his style is made for Duran, Floyd couldn't come up with enough offense, he'd be in total defense mode, running. Arguello gets Ko'ed as does Castillo. Sweet Pea would lose a decision. Duran is an all time pound for pound fighter, these other guys are not

robert ungurean and ETM like this.
  4. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I'd pick Duran over all of them at 135, except maybe for Whitaker, which I consider a toss-up fight.

Whitaker had such great moment and angles, and was underrated up close. Duran was of course great at mixing aggression with defense. The third Dejesus fight was a masterclass in controlled aggression and pressure. Dejesus kept whiffing at air, then taking counters to the body. How often Duran could get the straight right hand in on Whitaker would be key.

Floyd would give Duran the 2nd most competitive fight, then I guess Arguello over Chavez.

Castillo was a very big lightweight and a very good fighter but a level before Chavez.

5. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    This content is protected

6. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I think Duran would make Arguello look bad. Not a good style matchup for ETM. He was certainly a great fighter but Duran would brutally knock him out. Alexis wasn't a quick enough and he was a stationary standup fighter. Duran was too quick and too slick at `35.

Chavez and Duran would be a tough fight. Julio had a tough chin and he was skilled inside but he is facing again a quicker man who has everything he has but better boxing skills and faster hands. Between the two Chavez is gonna be the one getting hit clean. Duran by decision.

Castillo was a poor man`s Chavez. Duran would beat the hell out of him.

Mayweather had trouble with Castillo at least the first night. He is gonna find Duran a tough target and vice versa. Probably a dull close fight. Floyd can protect himself but Duran`s pressure and power would be the difference. Fighting 3 minutes of every round. Duran by close decision.

Whitaker would be the toughest test because he was a southpaw and he could throw from angle that were uncommon. I call this one a toss up. It would honestly be a series of fights.

7. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    That is quite possible. Chavez chin may see him to the final bell but that is no guarantee either.

8. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Roberto Duran win UD Floyd Mayweather
    Pernell Whitaker win SD Robert Duran
    Roberto Duran win SD Julio Cesar Chavez.
    Roberto Duran win TKO Castillo.
    Alexis Arguello win tko Roberto Duran

9. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Beats them all with Whitaker the toughest.

robert ungurean and Clinton like this.
  10. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I think Whitaker, Mayweather and Chavez would be tough fights. I'd call them 50-50.
    I'd expect Duran to defeat Arguello and Castillo.

11. Reinhardt

Oct 4, 2016
    Duran wins all, I think on style he would knock out Chavez in about 8 to 10. Whitaker is the toughest fight he was very good

12. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2017
    His easiest fights in this would be against Arguello, Chavez and Castillo since they were not evasive fighters but came straight forward. Wily fighters like Benitez and Camacho were problematic for Duran.

13. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    No one is koing prime Chavez at lightweight. Decision could go either way.In fact all these fights will be close and competitive and they are all all time p4p greats except maybe Castillo.

14. Reinhardt

Oct 4, 2016

Chavez would be right there for Duran and he doesn't possess the defensive skills Duran does. Duran would back Chavez up

15. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    I agree with you that Chavez was one helluva fighter. He had an awesome chin. He would need all of it though in this fight. Duran had that quick right hand lead and he could also counter very well. It`s possible Chavez goes the distance but he would pay for it. Duran is the better boxer with the superior defense. Bad Matchup for Chavez.