Roberto Duran vs Pernell Whitaker (Lightweight)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by OvergrownGnome, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Ive learned to never bet on a southpaw against a guy with a great right hand

walker smith likes this.
  2. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    no one Duran fought at lightweight compared to Pernell. and when he fought the elite level of Pernell later he lost to all those guys.

3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    And Pernell fought no one at lightweight in the same league as Duran... And Duran beat a prime Leonard just as Duran was saying good bye to his own prime, after having RULED the division for 7 years. Don't paint Duran in a corner. He is not analogous to other fighters, a fact that comes with being one of the very greatest fighters of all time, a cut in quality that Whitaker, great as he was, does not make.

walker smith and robert ungurean like this.
  4. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Ray was not prime. he fought Duran's fight. You think Pernell would do that? You really do? Or would he do what Ray did in the second fight and slip the punches and land his own? Duran is not the greatest of all time. He lacks the wins over other greats. Duran is the biggest excusemaker in the history of boxing.

5. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Ray didn't fight Roberto's fight. Ray fought the only fight Roberto allowed him to fight. Big difference.

Ray got a hagged-out, under-trained, over-partied Duran the second time around. Still, I think that version of Duran beats Whitaker at welter. But no way in hell that Duran loses at lightweight. You seem to be another who thinks that Duran arrived on the in 1979. Perhaps I should be the first to inform you that he dabbled in boxing a bit before that date.

As far as beating greats, Duran's win over Leonard far bests anything Whitaker was able to accomplish in a single fight.

6. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    If that were the case either Duran fought a Ray who was not the great he fought in the next two fights, or he could not make him fight that fight the other two fights.. Ray got the excuse making Duran the second time. The fact is Ray was the variable. Look at the first fight and second fight side by side and see how Ray is moving. No, but at lightweight Duran did not fight the elites guys he fought later. I don't see Duran beating Ray as that great, because Ray to me was 2 title fights into his career. He was not the great fighter he was who fought Hearns in 1981.

7. Matt Bargas

Matt Bargas Member Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    He has a very good chance by decision, but he cannot make any mistakes. If he gets sucked into a brawl, he will be in big trouble. He also cannot be seen as constantly running away, or they might give the decision to Duran. He needs hit and run: move in, slip and slide, counter, and quickly back off before Duran can get the better of him.

“No one Duran fought at lightweight compared to Pernell Whitaker”

How about DeJesus? He trained with Benitez, so he was not unfamiliar with evasive tactics.

8. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Pressure,pressure,pressure, if Ramirez can keep a fight close, and win one (though in truth he lost both) and Chavez made it interesting (though both were past prime at welter) both were pressure fighters, neither had the skill or power of prime Duran at lightweight . I see Whitaker fighting a defensive fight, once he realize Duran isn't easy to hit, and Duran's counters hurt him early. Though Duran wouldn't be able to trap Whitaker or stop him, he would keep him defensive minded, and win a close dec. After the fight Duran calls Whitaker a coward every way possible lol.

KuRuPT likes this.
  9. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    good point about DeJesus, and I think he was trained by Benitez father Gregorio Benitez, but I could be wrong, but I am not sure that is the same as being Benitez. And Benitez outboxed Duran easily in 1982, not long after Ray beat Duran in Nov. 80. Pernell was not a guy who was suckered into brawls much. Leonard had more of that ego which helped him in excitement and hurt him at times.

10. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Duran by decision in a high quality affair.

JC40 likes this.
  11. walker smith

walker smith New Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2018
    thank you for the correction

12. walker smith

walker smith New Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2018
    but tito beat up on sweet pea , and i think duran would stop tito

13. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    The lightweight sweetpea and welterweight sweetpea would out box Duran.

14. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Pea may have been a guy who fared well in the 15 round era. However the 13-15th rounds are an unknown, meaning some guys (Pedroza comes to mind) rose to greatness there, while others just didn’t have that extra 9 minutes in them.

I think 12 might give Pea a better chance. I still like Duran narrowly but this would be close.

Reinhardt likes this.
  15. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004

Like Chavez? Nelson? Mayweather?

Bronze Tiger likes this.