Roberto Duran Would've SCHOOLED Floyd Mayweather Jr. 9-3!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Gannicus, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Prime for prime, at 135lbs. I don't care for 147lbs, neither were in their prime then.

First off, I'm aware 'no mas' vs Sugar Ray Leonard will be mentioned. I'm a huge fan of SRL. SRL is TBE level. A lock for Top 5 ever in terms of head-to-head ability. Duran is one of the Top 10 GOATs, please refrain from rubbish.

For casuals: Remember, Floyd hasn't fought a single at-or-near prime TBE, ATG, Higher-tier HOF, Higher-Mid tier HOF, Mid tier HOF, Lower-Mid tier HOF during his 19 years of boxing! Name me ONE.

***** claims -
    'But..but...no mas'

Gannicus replies -
    1. SRL beat Duran because SRL fused together potshotting AND fighting. SRL was able to steal points by fighting in bursts when it suited him. Understand this crucial point. Without it, you don't understand SRL.

2. SRL is the epitome of 'hit-and-not-get-hit'...but note that he does HIT far more than a 135lb Mayweather did, and better. This is WHY SRL was able to steal rounds against Duran. If you think Mayweather would've potshotted his way to victory, you're going to hell. You're not holding off Duran like that.

3. Duran lost around 40lbs in a very, VERY short period of time and looked flat. As a result, he had a picture of what he wanted to do to SRL in his mind but couldn't pull the trigger.

4. Duran's personality post Duran-Leonard 1 - just like Tyson Fury after beating Wlad, he just didn't have the motivation to dig deep with SRL anymore. If you lack this, you're going to lose. Duran was man enough to fight.

5. Jose Luis Castillo was Julio Cesar Chavez's professional whipping boy in sparring. Duran is on an echelon above and beyond JCC let alone JLC. Castillo beat Floyd in the opinion of most, in the first fight.

6. Floyd's feather-fisted power (literally he only had some power when he was a FW therefore he's a feather fist) deteriorated once he moved up. His power was overrated at 130, too. Floyd was VERY, VERY SLIGHTLY more aggressive, which works against him against 135lb Duran.

7. Duran was brilliant at making his way inside, and was arguably the best in-fighter of all time..Mayweather SHUTS DOWN on the inside when having to deal with high input. Cotto, Maidana, Castillo beat him up. Again, Floyd doesn't have enough to hold Duran off. Running and potshotting doesn't cut it, here.
    This content is protected

8. Duran was better at the centre of the ring, better at the ropes, too. Duran's power was Golovkin-esque at 135. Duran would've mostly avoided the head and went to the body. He had decent size at 135.

I'm not taking away from SRL's performance, he would've beaten a 'Montreal Duran' that night IMO. Prime for prime, Duran (135lbs) is arguably TBE.
    If you think Mayweather beats Leonard, Duran and Hearns, I hate you and your generation after you :campeon2::chuck:

2. Todd498

Todd498 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Prime Duran hurts Floyd. Floyd isn't dynamic or as big a puncher as Sugar Ray was so he's not beating the fight out of Duran.

Floyd would be going up against a Chino on steroids and with better skills. I think Duran KO's him.

3. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket Make the Cold War great again. Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Maybe Duran before the first SRL fight would have, but the Duran after he got $10 million dollars was as discipline as Adrien Broner. Duran got money and did what typical broke people do, PARTY!!!
    He got out of shape he became and addict and his hunger was gone. Gotta give Floyd major points on holding it together for so long with millions of dollars and staying in shape and discipline. Even his counter-parts Mosley, Oscar, Manny, Hatton Castillo, and others have all fund themselves in compromising situations that affected their boxing career.
    Duran was no more after the money.

Reinhardt, KiwiMan, drenlou and 3 others like this.
  4. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Stylewise Duran is a nightmare for Floyd so yes I would favor him over Floyd.

5. Mandibular Fortitude

Mandibular Fortitude Active Member banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree but Broner would school Duran, but he'd lose to Floyd.

Styles make fights.

Boxing is madness I tell you. MADNESS

6. pincai

pincai The Indonesian Thin Man Full Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Broner is unbeaten at lightweight, he will walk down the smallish Duran. Duran has never seen this on your face shoulder roll pressure his whole career. He will be clueless.

7. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    You're joking right? Ah, this is an old fashioned wind up thread.

8. Enigmadanks

Enigmadanks Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 5, 2009
    If both men are at their best and devoid of any injuries or weight issues going into the fight, it's a 50/50 one for me at any weight class.

Duran was a boxer-puncher and Jr was a terrific all around fighter in the lighter divisions. I won't go into a lengthy write-up but I could see both men force their styles on the other guy and win. Regardless, it would be a competitive fight at 12 or 15 rounds.

9. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I always thought that Duran would run through Floyd.

If a pressure fighter like Maidana gave Floyd fits, Duran would turn him inside out.

Any of the Fab 4 are bad news for him. Floyd might have his best success en route to losing to Hagler, whom he might be able to potshot ... for a while.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  10. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I'd rather see Pac Duran for what might be the greatest fight of all time entertainment wise.

MURK20 and drenlou like this.
  11. Orca

Orca Member Full Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Duran works him over. Floyd is forced to use all his energy to defend. Duran batters him to a TKO after 9.

Pompey Junglist likes this.
  12. Todd498

Todd498 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Especially Hearns. Hitman would have cracked out Floyd within 5

13. Nat Turner

Nat Turner Member banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Duran zombies are out in force today. History shows that Duran can't deal with slick boxers. In fact, slick boxers sometimes make him say "no mas".
    Mayweather by decision.

14. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Duran would have killed the Diet ATG's of this generation like Floyd & Pac. I think he would have beat DLH, Mosley and even Sweet Pea at 135 lbs.

15. Nat Turner

Nat Turner Member banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Duran can't deal with slick fighters.